Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wirthco Battery Isolator???

Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrangled
My Cole Hersey has the same feature. It can be wired into the inside of the vehicle and just initiated with the push of a button. A momentary is all that is required as the bridge is automatically disengaged after one minute. Great for self boosting!
good to know. What model do you have?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cole Hersee Smart Isolator 48530
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery Management Systems vs Isolators

Great discussion here. I have installed the WirthCo "Doctor" isolator in a couple of 4WD vehicles, along with other isolators, including the Cole Hersee units. Most seem to work as advertised. The WirthCo plastic body seems a bit "weak" to me, plus it's smaller than you might imagine. The Cole Hersee units are mostly aluminum and in my opinion, a bit more hardy for off-road/backcountry. But this brings up an expanded discussion... "Isolators vs Battery Management Systems." Battery management systems are, in my opinion, better for backcountry environments - overlanding for extended days/weeks. Isolators simply isolate a primary battery from a secondary (except the Battery Doctor also allows you to "tie" the two batteries together when winching, jumping, or other high Amp activities). Battery management systems have readouts, allow for auto and multiple inputs (alternators AND solar panels). If you ever plan to use a solar panel to keep your batteries topped off while camping, using a refrigerator, ham radio, etc., then you NEED a Battery Management System (BMS), NOT simply an isolator. Two BMS's I like are the IBS - ibs-tech.ch: Home - and National Luna - National Luna. Between the two, I run the IBS system in both my Jeeps. Yes BMS's are expensive. You get what you pay for and what you "really" need. If you are day-jeeper, then you only need an isolator. Buy one and be done with it. If you are a multiple-day camper/overlander, you will eventually purchase a BMS and throw out your isolator.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Anybody install be of these yet? If so, like it? Don't like it? Work well? POS? Seems like a fair alternative to the Nemesis Dual Battery Kit. About $200 for an M.O.R.E dual battery tray and this isolator. About half of the Nemesis kit, even after buying wires and terminals. Battery Isolator Series - Wirthco Engineering, Inc.
Please don’t repeat my mistake...
I used heavy-duty marine environment isolators, and they failed in my previous Jeep one after the other. Then, I studied the issue... and found that electronic battery isolators are simply not as reliable as solenoid isolators, especially in the hot engine bay of a Jeep.

The sticker on the one you refer to, says 150 Amp.
Max Amp isn’t even mentioned in the specks webpage. No serious company would fail to include the max or peak Amp in the specs.
150 Amp is too low anyway, so it will fail.
It should be comfortably above the alternator specs (170 Amp), so you need an isolator which is at least 200 Amp continuous. Momentary peak would obviously be higher than that.

The most reliable ones I found (not necessarily the only ones), were Cole Hersee and Red Arc – the solenoid type, which is 200 Amp or more.
Both are also smart chargers, and both allow connecting a self-jump-start switch.

I chose the RED ARC, # SBI212, 200 Amp.
Zero problems. It's made for - and well proven - in the extreme Australian outback.

Note -
The change of the word 'alternator' into a link to Amazon was automatic, not my doing.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-18-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys! This helps. I didn't even consider the alternator output and how it could affect the isolator. I definitely don't want electrical damage. I've been eyeing all options and definitely have the mindset of being too poor to buy cheap. In other words, spend a little extra up front and it being less in the long run. But damn, the genesis kit doesn't need to be $550. Well made? Certainly. But just hard to justify the significant price as compared to other pieced together options.

I also have multi day excursions and like the idea of a BMS. I know the genesis kit has an additional meter so you can monitor the battery status as well.

Add into this mix, I've also considered a solar panel to be tied into the system in the future. Looks like a good bit of research will be necessary for the best set up.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 11-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Pretty sure that alternator output for a '12 JK isn't 170 amps. I think the '07s had a 170 amp alternator, and later models had a smaller one (140 amp?). Regardless, none of the alternators really put out that much current even under a reasonable load. Regardless, I prefer the solenoid isolators. You can get one from Amazon for $103 (includes shipping) ...

http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-48.../dp/B00LMGPHW2
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pretty sure that alternator output for a '12 JK isn't 170 amps. I think the '07s had a 170 amp alternator, and later models had a smaller one (140 amp?). Regardless, none of the alternators really put out that much current even under a reasonable load. Regardless, I prefer the solenoid isolators. You can get one from Amazon for $103 (includes shipping) ...

http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-48.../dp/B00LMGPHW2
Some are with 140 Amps, others more.
Mine, an export model Rubi, came with a 160 or 170 Amp, I'm not sure which, but no less than 160 Amp.

Even if it was 140 Amp, I wouldn't go for less than 200 or 250 Amp smart charger solenoid.
When a winch gives the battery a hard time, the alternator works hard, which is exactly when we don't want the solenoid to overheat and trigger the thermal protection, or fail for good.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-18-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI.

I didn't have much experience with battery isolators/management systems and while on a budget, found the T-Maxx. The kit was complete, priced right and installation was straight forward.

This was coupled with the M.O.R.E. battery tray and a couple of Sears Platinum Batteries. It has served me well for the past 2 years.

http://www.amazon.com/T-MAX-47-3800-Dual-Battery-System/dp/B0026JCNJE
Old 11-18-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep

Some are with 140 Amps, others more.
Mine, an export model Rubi, came with a 160 or 170 Amp, I'm not sure which, but no less than 160 Amp.

Even if it was 140 Amp, I wouldn't go for less than 200 or 250 Amp smart charger solenoid.
When a winch gives the battery a hard time, the alternator works hard, which is exactly when we don't want the solenoid to overheat and trigger the thermal protection, or fail for good.
I agree, preferring to over-spec and engineer for safety. Didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing before.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I agree, preferring to over-spec and engineer for safety. Didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing before.
Hey Mark, you didn't want to sound disagreeing, and I didn't want to sound argumentative - just to elaborate a bit... that's the kind of things which get lost on the internet, vs face to face

Quick Reply: Wirthco Battery Isolator???