Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wirthco Battery Isolator???

Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody install be of these yet? If so, like it? Don't like it? Work well? POS? Seems like a fair alternative to the Nemesis Dual Battery Kit. About $200 for an M.O.R.E dual battery tray and this isolator. About half of the Nemesis kit, even after buying wires and terminals. http://www.wirthco.com/battery-isola...-601-l-en.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3734895519.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	584411  

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 11-17-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Just a bumpin! Hopefully somebody has used this. If not, I may be obligated to buy and do a write up, eh?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to judge a book by its cover... but I usually stay away from items that have funny picture slogans on them and website links advertising themselves. I know its not fair as the quality on the inside could be pretty good and the inside is what counts.

Curious if anyone else has experience with this as well as I'm looking to do a dual battery setup and saving some $$ is always awesome

Edit: so free bump I suppose!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

That's my thought as well. But, at $80 or so, worth a try. As long as it doesn't fry my rig.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you guys checked out the Genesis Off Road dual battery kit? I'm guessing that you guys are a little more adept with the wiring of a dual battery kit than I am, granted that's not hard to do, but this kit literally takes all the guess work out and fits great. Genesis Offroad

Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Have you guys checked out the Genesis Off Road dual battery kit? I'm guessing that you guys are a little more adept with the wiring of a dual battery kit than I am, granted that's not hard to do, but this kit literally takes all the guess work out and fits great. Genesis Offroad
I have! I called it the nemesis Kit by mistake. For $550, I'm kinda shaking my head at it. I think it's a great piece, but just don't think it's $550 worth of great piece. That's why I am considering the aforementioned set up. Doing the math, it's about half, or less than the Genesis kit. That's a skid plate, half of a teraflex hinge, etc. I like quality, but I'm also a tight wad. Just like why I did JCR bumpers as opposed to PSC. I'm not a brand whore nor do I install to impress other. I'm all about function and quality at a good, reasonable price.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if all you are getting for that $80 is the isolator, you could probably pick up a tried and true Cole Hersey Smart Isolator for almost the same price in the US. I have been running one for a number of years now and it continues to work just fine. That and the tray are really all you get with a Dual Battery setup. Maybe a couple of pre made cables, which you can do yourself. I appreciate that no one wants to spend the seemingly high cost of a simple tray and isolator, but when you see how tight the tolerances are to fit two batteries into that space, and have them safe and solid, you gain an appreciation for the effort that goes into designing and building that tray. Or at least I did. If a guy could get his hands on a manufactured one, you likely could replicate it, and perhaps even improve on the design, for a one unit build. I remember how expensive the Benchmark was for my '09, and thought it was outrages, until I installed it, The quality was there, and obviously the research and development that went into it must have been fairly extensive. Since it has held up extremely well, I believe I got my money's worth from it. It was also a pretty intense install with all that had to be removed, and the cutting of the factory battery/fuse box/air box tray.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wrangled
Well if all you are getting for that $80 is the isolator, you could probably pick up a tried and true Cole Hersey Smart Isolator for almost the same price in the US. I have been running one for a number of years now and it continues to work just fine. That and the tray are really all you get with a Dual Battery setup. Maybe a couple of pre made cables, which you can do yourself. I appreciate that no one wants to spend the seemingly high cost of a simple tray and isolator, but when you see how tight the tolerances are to fit two batteries into that space, and have them safe and solid, you gain an appreciation for the effort that goes into designing and building that tray. Or at least I did. If a guy could get his hands on a manufactured one, you likely could replicate it, and perhaps even improve on the design, for a one unit build. I remember how expensive the Benchmark was for my '09, and thought it was outrages, until I installed it, The quality was there, and obviously the research and development that went into it must have been fairly extensive. Since it has held up extremely well, I believe I got my money's worth from it. It was also a pretty intense install with all that had to be removed, and the cutting of the factory battery/fuse box/air box tray.
the difference between the Cole Hersey and this unit is this unit works more like the alternative Genesis Off Road Kit. This unit has an over ride for putting the batteries in parallel. That little piece alone makes life easy when out on the trail and need a jump with no one around.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
the difference between the Cole Hersey and this unit is this unit works more like the alternative Genesis Off Road Kit. This unit has an over ride for putting the batteries in parallel. That little piece alone makes life easy when out on the trail and need a jump with no one around.
The Cole Hersey is quite a bit more expensive. But, it does have provision for the "override" button. They call it boost. Add your own button to the purple wire. Works great, I can attest!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cole Hersey has the same feature. It can be wired into the inside of the vehicle and just initiated with the push of a button. A momentary is all that is required as the bridge is automatically disengaged after one minute. Great for self boosting! I didn't think it was that much more than the price mentioned. The last time I looked it was about $100.

Last edited by Wrangled; 11-18-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Wirthco Battery Isolator???