Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wiring Harley Davidson garage door opener into JK

Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wiring Harley Davidson garage door opener into JK

I plan on selling one of my Harleys come spring so I pulled the garage door opener transmitter out of it. That got me to thinking I may as well install it on my JK. After a little testing I figured out a way to install it with just the transmitter, a momentary switch, and a SPDT relay. Weather permitting, I intend to install it this weekend or next.

So my question is, do you think this is worthy of a write-up or is it too specific an application to be worth the time? The install would go a lot quicker if I didn't need to be taking pictures along the way but if someone else may find value in it then I will do so.

Thanks.

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-02-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Write-ups are ALWAYS welcome. Your write-up may be for a very specific application, but may inspire someone else's project.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see a write up or at least a few photos of the garage door opener and where you install it.

I have been thinking about how I want to install a stealth one somewhere, but don't like the idea of burying a hand remote blind my dash like someone had posted up here. When the batteries die you have to fish it out and redo it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Write-ups are ALWAYS welcome. Your write-up may be for a very specific application, but may inspire someone else's project.
That's true. I hadn't thought of that. But like you said, it is VERY specific.

Originally Posted by spicoli
I would like to see a write up or at least a few photos of the garage door opener and where you install it.

I have been thinking about how I want to install a stealth one somewhere, but don't like the idea of burying a hand remote blind my dash like someone had posted up here. When the batteries die you have to fish it out and redo it.
Well my plan is to install it behind the dash, but I have to test locations to make sure the sheet metal doesn't block the signals. The momentary switch will be mounted next to the power window switches (which I don't have so for me it's just a cubby). I will only have to tap into 1 factory wire for a 12V source. I plan to use the driver's side cigarette lighter for that. I back into my driveway so if worst comes to worst, I will have to mount the transmitter near the rear. The key will have to be in the run position for the opener to work (as a security measure).

It's not a clicker type thing, it is designed for motorcycles where you flick your high beams on and off quickly to activate. It involves a transmitter for the vehicle and a receiver which you mount in your garage next to your garage door opener. I already have that as I have another bike with a transmitter as well. You can have as many transmitters as you want with the one receiver.

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-02-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy that did this on his jk. He did a fairly decent video on YouTube. I think he just tore his opener apart and wired in a button to the a pillar.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm down for a write up but more interested in the Harley you're selling....after our family trip to Paris, I'm officially allowed to get another scoot.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:42 AM
JK Junkie

I think I figured out a way to make it work off the high beams. I will test it today. I prefer that to having a momentary switch in the tub. If it works then the total install will be under the hood.

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
I'm down for a write up but more interested in the Harley you're selling....after our family trip to Paris, I'm officially allowed to get another scoot.
2005 Road King, hard bags, V&H mufflers, lots of chrome, 18K miles. Just had it's 20,000 mile service.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

I finished testing under the hood with just running wires directly to the battery for power. I got it working with the flash-to-pass. It will be much cleaner that way. All I have to do now is find a switched power under the hood. Off to AZ I go for fuse tap and weatherproof connectors. I will do a write-up later. Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

For those who wanted to see it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ite-up-315388/
Old 01-05-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere on this site, I think in the free mods thread, there was a post quite a while ago about stashing a garage door remote in the roll bar cover somewhere within the driver's reach.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harley Davidson garage door opener into JK