Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winter Tires for my LCG JKU

Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires for my LCG JKU

It may seem a little early for a snow tire thread, but I live in Colorado at 9500ft.

My JKU is currently running 35s on aftermarket wheels, nemesis flares (clear 35s with stock suspension and offset wheels) and I've popped in some 1.5 inch RK springs up front to even things out a bit.
I will add some 1.5s to the rear and some arms up front to correct the caster pretty soon. She's just a hair squirelly right now.
Summer tires are Pro Comp A/T Xtremes - of course they quit making them in the 35x12.5R17 size.

I have my stock wheels and tires in my garage. The mud t/as are crap in icy snow. (They are fine in powder)
I've been looking at winter tire options and think I've got a plan, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Stock wheels, no spacers and 285/70R17 tires.

Tire options:
General Grabber AT2 - 285s are supposed to be snowflake rated. (My current favorite option.)
Yokohama Geolandar A/T - I'm not sure if these are snowflaked, but they are a bit cheaper and they wore well on my old ride.
Old Faithful - All Terrain T/As.

Thoughts?

I've considered selling the stock wheels to get some steelies with offset. I think the light stock wheels will help things in the winter.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default I forgot

A couple of extra notes:
I have a traildash 2, so I can swap tire size like my wife changes outfits.
It's a rubi, 4.10s and auto. Going down to 33s keeps the cost a bit lower and snow flake ratings appear to be snowflakes in hell when you go over 33"s.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

I ran Duratracs on my TJ and LOVED them in the winter.
As far as the MTR's i run on my JK... Worst winter tire ever.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I ran Duratracs on my TJ and LOVED them in the winter.
As far as the MTR's i run on my JK... Worst winter tire ever.
I second the durtracs, i have the 33 pizza cutters on my jk and the work awesome in the snow with 4.10, my dad has the 12.5 33s on his jku and the work awesome as well zero issues with snow or ice and still very nice on the road.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Default tires

Originally Posted by Redsand
I second the durtracs, i have the 33 pizza cutters on my jk and the work awesome in the snow with 4.10, my dad has the 12.5 33s on his jku and the work awesome as well zero issues with snow or ice and still very nice on the road.
I run the Duratracs. Very quiet, heavy duty tire. Great in all kinds of snow.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I also love my duratracs. Been through two NJ winters with them. Very happy. I also used to have a Mercury mountaineer with the general grabber at2. I was also very happy with those. They lasted a very long time. You'd be fine with either of those 2.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

X5 on the duratracs i love them in the snow. I hear that the BF Goodrich ko2's are also very effective in the snow.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll need to adjust your steering stops with 285's and no wheel spacers.

In southern Virginia we don't get much of the white stuff so I have no input on the snow tires.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Bfg ko2 in 34x10.5-17 make awesome winter tires. They are almost uncanny how they work in snow covered ice. They have snowflake designation.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by willo
A couple of extra notes: I have a traildash 2, so I can swap tire size like my wife changes outfits. It's a rubi, 4.10s and auto. Going down to 33s keeps the cost a bit lower and snow flake ratings appear to be snowflakes in hell when you go over 33"s.
I've ran Grabber AT2's on my ZJ and WJ and they were awesome in the snow. A little less money than the BFG AT's. They ran 65,000 miles east, but did get loud as they wore down.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires for my LCG JKU