Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winter/Salt Preparation

Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advice from a Canadian...Get it Krowned. I do it every year on my 2007 Unlimited X the rust doesn't spread. The stuff gets EVERYWHERE and if it doesn't drip they didn't do it right. First time I went there I waited in line behind a guy with a 1960 something Westafalia without any major rust and well over 1,000,000 Miles. He said he'd been doing it every year since the 80's when Krown first came out. Another there has a mid 90's Taurus with rust spots all over, the Krown guy said do you want me to spray this? The owner told him he bought it 13 years ago for $500 and sprayed it every year in the next town over. The rust hasn't spread any more since.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Krown's a bit inaccessible for the majority if you live in the states
Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Every spring and fall I get under my Jeep and inspect every inch of it. I hit any rust with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, then a top coat or two of flat black Rustoleum spray paint.

I also go through touchless carwashes a couple times a month, making sure to get the underbody wash.

After 9 winters with LOTS of calcium chloride and plain road salt, my Jeep looks almost new underneath. The only areas of rust that are even visible are spots around the gas tank skid plate, and it really isn't bad there. (I'd hate to drop that skid plate off and see the other side of it, though.) The frame and suspension are in superb shape.

The key is that you have to be proactive to stop it before it gets a real foothold. There is effort involved.

I also installed a set of front Mopar splash guards, thinking i'd take them off for wheeling. They survived Moab, so I just keep them on. Anyway, they significantly reduce salt spray, but also reduce rocks flying up and chipping painted or coated areas.

Probably the only other area of rust concern I have is on the door hinges. I'll be taking those off at some point and repainting them.

Ask Rancho. They saw the underside of my Jeep at Moab when putting in my new shocks. I guess I did forget that the shock bolts were pretty rough and it really gave those guys a workout in getting them off!
Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of fluid being sprayed underneath?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do have to say that I'm glad we don't have to deal with salt here in So Cal!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
I do have to say that I'm glad we don't have to deal with salt here in So Cal!
.... in lieu of no water, high taxes, gas prices, traffic and millions of other people.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my RK stuff and Rancho shocks are coated with Fluid film. Not a single bit of rust yet
Old 10-17-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
.... in lieu of no water, high taxes, gas prices, traffic and millions of other people.
Good point, give me salt and take all that in trade! :P
Old 10-17-2015, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Good point, give me salt and take all that in trade! :P
Since it seems like the rest of the country is already moving to CO, we just might have that in time AND salt!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brush Waxoyl on all the easy to reach places under the Jeep and spray undercoating on anything I can't get a brush to. We use Fluid film at my job and while it does work, it is an oily, nasty mess if you need to work on/touch anything. When the waxoyl cures it doesn't come off unless scraped or dissolved with certain solvents. I use the black waxoyl in the large can, not the clear kind in the aerosol spray can

Quick Reply: Winter/Salt Preparation