Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Windshield light questions/suggestions

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield light questions/suggestions

Just got my IPF 986 lights for the windshield. They look really cool. I got them as the stock lights suck and I live in deer country and its helpful to have some bright lights to see in ditches ect. 2 questions.

1: They come w/ 50 and 100 watt bulbs. I installed the 100 watt, any reason you wouldnt want the 100 and rather have 50?

2: They come w/ the switch but I dont see a reason not to wire into the hi beams, I cant imagine a time when id want the IPFs on but not my brights. Anybody w/ expierience on why they would rather just use the switch?

Im installing them tonight so any other help would be great. I searched for an install write up coudlnt find one so if someone knows of one thatd be great as the instructions are lacking as is my ability.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

1) can't think of a reason...
2) if you're trying to flash your hi-beams only to an oncoming driver, or to warn someone, you probably don't want to blast them in the face with 200w of windshield lights. I've also used my windshields lights for stuff at night when I didn't need the hi-beams on at the same time. They're easier to rotate @ the ground if you're working on something/looking for your brothers keys in the lawn.

Found this video on youtube, kind of crappy, but gives you a rough idea of what to do. hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9vKPiclrso
If the lights came with a wiring harness it will be easier.

Last edited by runit3; 03-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

An answer to both questions is that they might not be street legal. Could be a possibility. Especially the 100 watt bulbs. I have my KC 130's on a switch for that reason, definitely not street legal. It depends on your states department of transportation.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2. Highly unlikely that offroad lights are street legal. In some states you will get ticketed for having them on the rig and not covered even if they are off.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

I use my KC lights with my low beams/fogs. That gives me the most light while traveling when not in the city

Also the law in my state is that any light mounted above the hood of a vehicle must be covered at all times while on the road. Ive been told this before by cops and state inspection people.

Last edited by 4WHLN; 03-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield light questions/suggestions