Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Windshield Light mounting brackets...which to buy?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
I have a pair of Hella 500 FF mounted on MBRP brackets. The Hella lights have a pretty bad halo effect the throws light into the cabin. If you put the grill covers on them its better. The KC long range would be a much better choice. The brackets started rusting almost immediately. I just refinished them this weekend. I would recommend a different brand.
Yea, the Hella 500 FF are fog/flood. I have them mounted on my front bumper. They work great at low speeds for fog, snowing and late trail rides.

To OP, I think most states do not allow "on road use" of windshied mounted lights. So think when you would use them and pick the correct beam pattern. Such as, would a driving beam be better or a pencil beam for higher desert type speeds? What about reflection off the hood. etc?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter
Yea, the Hella 500 FF are fog/flood. I have them mounted on my front bumper. They work great at low speeds for fog, snowing and late trail rides.

To OP, I think most states do not allow "on road use" of windshied mounted lights. So think when you would use them and pick the correct beam pattern. Such as, would a driving beam be better or a pencil beam for higher desert type speeds? What about reflection off the hood. etc?
i am going to get long range lights.. im more concerned with the mounting brackets. i just dont want something thats going to fall apart in a few months.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any has an opion on the Rugged Ridge windshild light bracket???
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are nice, but looks like they are close to the windshield, and that might require slim lights.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by borrongo
Any has an opion on the Rugged Ridge windshild light bracket???
I have them but have yet to install any lights. I'm shopping around for best bang for the buck and able to fit with my snorkel. They look like they'll do the job. That's all I have to add.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
i got the smittybilt brackets cause they were cheapest. but...they make the lights look like they are an angle. and they have a rubber grommet piece to hold the antenna from hitting the lights. (i just bought a stubby antenna instead) i will be replacing these mounting brackets soon, just cause i dont like the tilted look.

Attachment 181412Attachment 181413Attachment 181414Attachment 181415
ludski.. youre getting your jeep all decked out.. when are we gonna see you down at the badlands?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

HIDx brackets. They move the lights down and out to avoid glare and come with an antenna bracket for after you bend/rotate your antenna. I have 7" HIDx lights mounted and almost no visibility loss and no glare issues. They also work with my Mopar mirror relocation brackets and it is my understanding they work with the AEV snorkel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1406646615.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	181448  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
im HOPING (fingers crossed) to get some more rubber before i head down there. and my friend is selling his commander and getting a wrangler, so im waiting on him to finish that crap up.
hopefully really really soon! im like aching to head down there!!!! whens the next run? gotta start savin up some $ for gas!
August 6th we are going.. if ya cant make that.. im holding an event at the cliffs in marseilles, illinois over labor day if youre interested. its significantly closer to you. PM me your email address and i will send you the info.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Friday2322
I bought the Smittybilt ones because they sit a little lower and out to the side so they don't block your view as much as some brackets. I didn't like the way the bracket for the antannae pushed it out at an awkward angle so I just put a small bend in it and now it looks good IMO.Attachment 180839
Smittybilt also. I did use rubber washers between the bracket and the body.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi

down and out brackets

Quick Reply: Windshield Light mounting brackets...which to buy?