Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Windshield to hood latch cable Protection ?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield to hood latch cable Protection ?

I'm looking for ideas or a write up or pictures of how people mount these cables on there jeep to keep branches away from the windshield.I've seen pictures of some jeeps on here but can't find any now.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pm dracattack he has them
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the one pic i've seen it seems like it was attached from the hood latch to the roof rack they had mounted
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

I've seen it from the hood tie down to a roof rack... really the only way to clear the windshield.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Funny. I'd seen these cables a couple times before and couldn't figure out what the heck they were for. It certainly wasn't holding the windshield up...

Now I know better Not too many trees in Socal, mostly little bushes

Originally Posted by JK RUBI REDROCK
I'm looking for ideas or a write up or pictures of how people mount these cables on there jeep to keep branches away from the windshield.I've seen pictures of some jeeps on here but can't find any now.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the bulldozer world we refer to them as "limb risers". They're used on dozers to keep from having the tree limbs break your side cab windows, not so much the windshield itself. There's a lot of engery that builds up in those limbs when they are being wrapped (coiled) up by a flat front grill or flat windshield and if you don't have a window open, they will now want to break it, or worse than that, if you do have a side window open then that limb will uncoil inside your cab. No good. Ideally, you'd want that line to start at the top corner of your cab near the windshield and go toward the front and outward. That way as you approach a limb it will have no choice but to rise and follow the line up and over.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Dark! and yea some of the trails I run here in Jerz and up at RC often have a lot of branches hanging down and I got tired of them smacking the windshield and then dragging down the sides of the rig, tapped the MBRP light bar and fabbed up some brackets bent them with a vice and got the hardware from McMaster since Lowes doesn't carry all that much marine grade stuff. They do there job great! not hard at all to fab up and I'm sure that you could use some self tapping screws to get them in right above the door frame without any real issues. Kinda like the riverraider set up but WAY cheaper than what they are asking.

Last edited by fadeout; 08-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
Thanks Dark! and yea some of the trails I run here in Jerz and up at RC often have a lot of branches hanging down and I got tired of them smacking the windshield and then dragging down the sides of the rig, tapped the MBRP light bar and fabbed up some brackets bent them with a vice and got the hardware from McMaster since Lowes doesn't carry all that much marine grade stuff. They do there job great! not hoard at all to fab up and I'm sure that you could use some self tapping screws to get them in right above the door frame without any real issues. Kinda like the riverraider set up but WAY cheaper than what they are asking.

Bad ass looking jeep! looks like I'm going to have to add a light bar. Thank you .

Quick Reply: Windshield to hood latch cable Protection ?