Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Window Tint!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CA has pretty strict tint laws on the front set as well as the windshield. Anything behind those windows could be blacked out.

That being said I always tint my side windows up front to 50% and have never received a ticket. All my rear windows (unlimited, softop and half doors) are already tinted. I've never tried to tint my front upper soft windows...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I've done so far. Not mind blowing, but for 9.99 and some time, it sure beats giving up a ton of bones. Especially when I'm satisfied with it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3783734071.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	157952   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-931773432.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	157953  
Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Pretty sure 50% on the fronts is the legal limit everywhere, I wanted contrast between back and front so I at least look like I'm trying to comply. I opted for 30% and I like it a lot.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LaRose
Here's what I've done so far. Not mind blowing, but for 9.99 and some time, it sure beats giving up a ton of bones. Especially when I'm satisfied with it.
How are you doing the rear soft Windows? Film or some other way?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK08JK

How are you doing the rear soft Windows? Film or some other way?
Yeah what are you using??? That was the whole reason i started this thread up again! I think it can be done
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JTEE07SAHARA
Hey all.

So Im just curious if anyone has bothered to tint their windows?

Obviously with the top off all summer I wont bother to tint the back windows or anything that would be silly, but I am considering the side windows and windshield.

Comments? Suggestions?

Also, I live in Ontario, does anyone know legal tint limits?

Thanks!

JTee.
Hi,
Had my side windows tinted at 20% to match factory hardtop and softop windows, the legal window tint for side windows in Ontario is no darker than 35%, I have had my tint for the last 6 months with no problems. Don't know about the windshield though.
Hope this helps
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
Yeah what are you using??? That was the whole reason i started this thread up again! I think it can be done
Yes I'm using film. I just picked up a roll of the Gila stuff that includes adhesive from Autzone and I haven't had any problems. I unzipped the windows and brought them inside to do the job.

Make sure to use a spray bottle with warm water and a bit of dish soap if you decide to apply it yourself. Otherwise you won't be able to adjust the film once you place it on the window.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaRose

Yes I'm using film. I just picked up a roll of the Gila stuff that includes adhesive from Autzone and I haven't had any problems. I unzipped the windows and brought them inside to do the job.

Make sure to use a spray bottle with warm water and a bit of dish soap if you decide to apply it yourself. Otherwise you won't be able to adjust the film once you place it on the window.
Thank you very much!!! I was thinking of doing it myself, and the tips are noted and double noted. I already have all the windows out as it is because in CO it is beautiful right now. I think i will have this done by Tuesday at the latest.

Any problems with bubbles or imperfections? The rear soft window is the only one Im worried about making some errors
Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560

Thank you very much!!! I was thinking of doing it myself, and the tips are noted and double noted. I already have all the windows out as it is because in CO it is beautiful right now. I think i will have this done by Tuesday at the latest.

Any problems with bubbles or imperfections? The rear soft window is the only one Im worried about making some errors
I'm just happy I could help a little

Honestly, I'm a little nervous about the rear back window, especially since mine doesn't come out all the way :/
However, the side ones were nice because I could bring them inside and really make sure they were cleaned good. Just be careful when you're cutting the film to fit that you don't cut through your window the soft top windows thus far have actually been easier than my two regular side windows up front. But thats just my opinion. I haven't seen any bubbling yet. It rained last night and it's been sunny all day today plus I had all the windows up (new tint, not supposed to roll them down) and even after that none yet. The Gila film really sticks well if you treat it right.
Let me know how it goes and ask me any questions, whenever.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default tint...ugh

Love the look and it's THE only way to go IMO. I had my fronts matched to the rest of the jeep at 20% a few days after purchase in June of 09. My first inspection is up, and today my dealer totally F'd me over. failed me for what they said was 3% too dark. I'm wondering if they just don't like women, don't like blondes, or are tired of me coming in there and giving their worthless rears my cash. Ended up peeling the fronts off and going back to get it approved all after they KEPT my wheel lock. (everywhere else I went there was some kind of note attached to my vin. Even tried pulling the doors n windows to no avail). I'm royally pissed and will be looking for another tint place tomorrow or through the week to install 25% to appease the tax happy state of texas. They have no problem with the jelopy blowing smut everywhere with an illegal tag, but they're gonna give me $hit over a 20% tint? .... wow. and THAT is why I want out of here!

Quick Reply: Window Tint!