Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wind Surf Board on a JK

Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Surf Board on a JK

Trying to find a way to mount my windsurf on my JK when hard top is taken off. Any suggestions on available hardware out there?
Also interested in solutions for the Winter Season for transporting my skis.

(or even a "special" Write-Up with Bungee cords!!)

Last edited by iannis; 07-01-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iannis
Trying to find a way to mount my windsurf on my JK when hard top is taken off. Any suggestions on available hardware out there?
Also interested in solutions for the Winter Season for transporting my skis.

(or even a "special" Write-Up with Bungee cords!!)
Most surf shops have a strap that will go around the rear roll bar (they use them for truck tailgates as well. For the front get you one of the ones that go though the doors and run it through the middle latch on the window header. Should be fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 1/2 answered.

I recently purchased a "Extend-A-Truck" hitch brackt that can be mount vertically or horizontally.
Vertical - Clears the soft top (no body lift) and will easily support a canoe, kayak, or in your case a Wind Surfing board.
Horizontal - will extend 5 feet out the back of the bed. Unfortunately I'd have to take the back gate off if I were to use it this way.

I think that using the Extend-A-Truck along with a windsheild mounted light bar should support your gear in the rear. For the front support... (I still haven't found a light bar I like) ?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

How long, wide and heavy of board are we talking about? I mount my 6'1" surfboard inside my JK 4door and works great, and I can go grab some picks of it if you want.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

For the Ski's
Thule makes a Bike Carrier 963 that works on a Jeep spare tire. I have one
2 bikes
thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=963

It also has an optional Ski/Snowboard carrier that fits on top.
Up to 6 Pairs Skis & 4 Snowboards
thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=1000&sku=987xt
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

trevor can you snap some shots of your board inside? I've stacked them on top with the soft top off.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I don't have my surf board with me today, but I think you will see how it works.
I have streachy velco from Lowes, with rings suspended from them, seems to work for my surf, but on a heavy board I would just use Velcro tie roll, double-sided Velcro allows you to cut custom-length. Like this product: national-tech.com/specs/30ct-07115.htm

The front I adjust so it just fits the nose of the board and it wont move forward past that point so I never really have to touch it. Still need to sew some velcro on the ends of the tie downs to eliminate flapping

The back is where I use it to pull the board tight and lock behind the fins with the back strap.

I used some pipe insulation to keep from scratching up the board.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default OT: The Gorge

Lanster, I see you are from Oregon City, you head out to the Gorge much for windsurfing? I should be at "the Spit" this weekend kiteboarding, if you wanted to swing by, my jeep will be in the parking lot.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I have't kited or windsurfed, strickly ocean surfing.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Extend A Truck

Originally Posted by Josephus
I recently purchased a "Extend-A-Truck" hitch brackt that can be mount vertically or horizontally.
Vertical - Clears the soft top (no body lift) and will easily support a canoe, kayak, or in your case a Wind Surfing board.
Horizontal - will extend 5 feet out the back of the bed. Unfortunately I'd have to take the back gate off if I were to use it this way.

I think that using the Extend-A-Truck along with a windsheild mounted light bar should support your gear in the rear. For the front support... (I still haven't found a light bar I like) ?
Does that Extend-A-Truck clear the rear mounted spare tire without an extension?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Wind Surf Board on a JK