Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wind Noise From Softtop On The Highways.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise From Softtop On The Highways.

Wind noise on the highway.
Everyone knows how loud the Jeep can be on the highways right? But wow was I surprised on how loud it can really get. My last Jeep had both tops, hard and soft, but I only used the soft top through spring –n- fall and only if we were expecting foul weather. Otherwise I had the hard top on. This is my 1st experience with the soft top only option.
I drove my JK to drill over this past weekend, approximately 450 miles. It was a very windy weekend in Kansas as well. Good thing I added new speakers and subwoofers to it before I left, because I doubt I would have been able to listen to the radio at all if it wasn’t for that.
During the ride there and back I kept looking to see how I could get a quieter ride, brain storming for several hours, and I thought of a solution. Now the only thing left to do was to get home and try it.
So I did… and it worked… It cut the noise in half, it doesn’t look bad and it cost me about $5, but I’m going to say I did have the piece of wood already… No… Don’t run away yet just because I said a piece of wood. I will say the wood I used was a piece of siding I had from building my shed. I will also add that I’m going to do it again with a thinner piece of flat particle board. I also purchased some light grey material from Hobby Lobby for $5. (I did had some 3M spay glue in my garage already)
I know this sounds like an infomercial, but it really was easy. I can think of other ways of doing the same thing like making the one piece into two pieces like T-tops came.
I cut the wood piece approximately 52.5” long and I believe it was 36”wide… Do your own measurements, and I rounded off the front corner sections, I then glued the material to the wood. After it dried I opened the Sun rider part of my Jeep top and place the piece in there, closed the top back up. The back side rests on the sound bar and the front slide into the gap between the top and the header bar that goes across with the locking latches. After I finished I drove it to my ball game that evening. I rolled up the window and hit highway speeds once again. I might also ad that it was even windier that night. I couldn’t believe how much it helped. I can imagine it would help during the winter times as well with keeping it warmer.
A simple and approximately $25 fix. I’m really surprised that someone hasn’t ran away with something like this earlier… or maybe someone has and I just haven’t seen it.
Here’s the picture’s… Tell me what you think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0873.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	554565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	554566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0876.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	554567[
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this to cut down on the flapping of the soft top material?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Cod
JK Newbie

Just cut your fan on, not the AC just the fan and don't use the recirculating option either.... cost is $0.00
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cod
Just cut your fan on, not the AC just the fan and don't use the recirculating option either.... cost is $0.00
Funny how when you do this, all windows puff like a marshmallow. This is what I do too. I feel the Jeep gets more aerodynamic.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Is this to cut down on the flapping of the soft top material?

No... This was stickley wind noise. (blowing wind noise) I haven't notices the flapping noise as much, besides that stupid passanger side seatbelt flapping!!! lol
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cod

I will try this is if hear the flapping noise, but when you have the windows down won't that option be void?
I just can't picture that working if the windows are down.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Cod
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SteveLNew
I will try this is if hear the flapping noise, but when you have the windows down won't that option be void?
I just can't picture that working if the windows are down.

Correct, if it's warm enough to have the windows down I usually have the top off anyways.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think this is a cool idea. I was thinking about adding the military foam sleeping mats between the top and my SWS to see if it helped. Additionally if I was somewhere and wanted to drop the top I could roll them up and put them in the back.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

soft top up....front windows down?.....unzip the back window...then the air has a place to go
Old 05-23-2014, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveLNew
Wind noise on the highway.
Everyone knows how loud the Jeep can be on the highways right? But wow was I surprised on how loud it can really get. My last Jeep had both tops, hard and soft, but I only used the soft top through spring –n- fall and only if we were expecting foul weather. Otherwise I had the hard top on. This is my 1st experience with the soft top only option.
I drove my JK to drill over this past weekend, approximately 450 miles. It was a very windy weekend in Kansas as well. Good thing I added new speakers and subwoofers to it before I left, because I doubt I would have been able to listen to the radio at all if it wasn’t for that.
During the ride there and back I kept looking to see how I could get a quieter ride, brain storming for several hours, and I thought of a solution. Now the only thing left to do was to get home and try it.
So I did… and it worked… It cut the noise in half, it doesn’t look bad and it cost me about $5, but I’m going to say I did have the piece of wood already… No… Don’t run away yet just because I said a piece of wood. I will say the wood I used was a piece of siding I had from building my shed. I will also add that I’m going to do it again with a thinner piece of flat particle board. I also purchased some light grey material from Hobby Lobby for $5. (I did had some 3M spay glue in my garage already)
I know this sounds like an infomercial, but it really was easy. I can think of other ways of doing the same thing like making the one piece into two pieces like T-tops came.
I cut the wood piece approximately 52.5” long and I believe it was 36”wide… Do your own measurements, and I rounded off the front corner sections, I then glued the material to the wood. After it dried I opened the Sun rider part of my Jeep top and place the piece in there, closed the top back up. The back side rests on the sound bar and the front slide into the gap between the top and the header bar that goes across with the locking latches. After I finished I drove it to my ball game that evening. I rolled up the window and hit highway speeds once again. I might also ad that it was even windier that night. I couldn’t believe how much it helped. I can imagine it would help during the winter times as well with keeping it warmer.
A simple and approximately $25 fix. I’m really surprised that someone hasn’t ran away with something like this earlier… or maybe someone has and I just haven’t seen it.
Here’s the picture’s… Tell me what you think.

Attachment 554565Attachment 554566Attachment 554567[

might was well have a hard top on.......

Quick Reply: Wind Noise From Softtop On The Highways.