Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winching triggers low battery voltage light?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winching triggers low battery voltage light?

Had my first really hard pull with my winch a couple weeks ago. It was uphill like a 45* angle all mud up to the axles tubes with them plowing mud the whole way up. After about 30 seconds of winching my battery light came on the dash. First time I have ever seen it come on my JKUR is almost 6 years old with a 2.5 year old odyssey battery.

I paused winching for about 15 seconds and then winched like another 10 seconds and was free. Battery light went out after a few mins and I haven't seen it since.

Does this sound normal? I'm getting 12.4V on the battery engine off and 13.6V with engine idling wondering if it's time to get a new alternator.

I have a big road trip to windrock coming up next month want to make sure everything is ship shape before I go.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Had similar experience

Same happened to me pulling a buddy out of the mud a couple years ago. I have an optima red top, not deep cycle. Just left it running and continued riding for about half an hour. The light never went out until we broke for lunch and I started back up, then no light and no issues since.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Winching is simply a massively intense electrical drain. With your deep cycle battery the occasional dip should be no cause for concern. Keep the engine running and let the alternator restore it. All good.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok great, sounds like I have no cause for concern. thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have stated, this has happened to me as well.

My solution will likely be a dual battery setup. Hope that makes it never happen again, pretty expensive hypothetical solution.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Dual battery does fix that issue. The tray is the more expensive piece at ~$100+ and then the "kits" with the $60 solenoid plus wiring are pretty expensive too.

Once it's installed then you don't think about it anymore.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Ok great, sounds like I have no cause for concern. thanks guys.
What about your engine idle RPM? Do you have a programmer which allows you to raise the engine idle RPM for winching? I think that would be another good solution, if you don't currently have that option. You don't need a new alternator, the JK's stock alt is actually pretty high current. You just may need to raise the RPM's to get more power out of that stock alt.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
What about your engine idle RPM? Do you have a programmer which allows you to raise the engine idle RPM for winching? I think that would be another good solution, if you don't currently have that option. You don't need a new alternator, the JK's stock alt is actually pretty high current. You just may need to raise the RPM's to get more power out of that stock alt.
I had my RPM's around 2-2.5k when I was winching the tires were spinning in the mud.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope this wasnt a hill in South florida? were you out and about? i have never had to use a winch in south Florida for anything but flat mud and sand, where in the world were you!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkjouster
i hope this wasnt a hill in South florida? were you out and about? i have never had to use a winch in south Florida for anything but flat mud and sand, where in the world were you!
Wildwood Off-road Park for Crawlfest

Quick Reply: Winching triggers low battery voltage light?