Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches is there really a difference?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHAkita
Okay where did you find a Recon for under $500?
I'm interested too, found this for $607 shipped

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/REC264100PPW.htm
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
I'm interested too, found this for $607 shipped

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/REC264100PPW.htm
A ha, found it, $450 with shipping

Recon 264100PPW 10,500lb Performance Winch | TruckandWinch.com
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI...the recon winch is made in China just like 99% of the non-warn winches out there. Whether you go with Recon, Engo, Smitty, Rugged Ridge, Quadratec, etc... it comes down to what features you want more than "is this one better than that one". Some have thicker lines, some come with wireless (I've tried wireless and hate it), some have a light on the controller...stuff like that. But the components and assemblies and, for the most part, the moving parts are all made in one of a few plants in China.

I have seen very little complaints from any of the Chinese made winches. Considering how many of these have been sold vs the more expensive American made ones, you would think there would be more complaints but I see about the same. I've used Smitty with synth line for the last 3 years with zero issues. I've used it is extreme sub zero temps and temps above 90 degrees. No issues. Most guys in my club use "cheap" winches and I've never seen one fail yet.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I went for the Warn 9.5cti but there are other good winches on the market. The advice I always offer is buy the brand that you can get replacement parts to repair it when necessary, otherwise you have bought a disposable winch and have to throw it away when it breaks. Any brand can and will eventually need some kind of maintenance, most often it will be the solenoids as they have to close under heavy current from the battery and tend to burn up the contacts.

Last edited by Pushrod; 01-01-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Pushrod
Personally I went for the Warn 9.5cti but there are other good winches on the market. The advice I always offer is buy the brand that you can get replacement parts to repair it when necessary, otherwise you have bought a disposable winch and have to throw it away when it breaks. Any brand can and will eventually need some kind of maintenance, most often it will be the solenoids as they have to close under heavy current from the battery and tend to burn up the contacts.
x2 service is key here,testing your winch often will insure it will work when you need it most
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Truck and winch -Recon 10.5 with a rope line.wireless, plus once you get your winch on take a picture and send it in and you get your cover for free-all you pay for is shipping.

Check where your wires come out also on the units and if it is waterproof to some degree. Look also at the design too and how it will set on your Bumper.

Do your research before you buy.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ what he said. Its $415 on truck and winch. I was surprised on the quality of the winch when I opened and installed it. I was expecting a sub standard winch for the price I mean I know in the end you get what you pay for. But I installed and have used it a few times and I think its worth the $473 shipped. If your hardcore or need it for your job get a warn and spend the $1200+ dollars. If your a weekend warrior or just go out a few times a year this is a good winch. Just make sure you do your monthly op check's on it and put a load on it before you go out. The worst thing you can do is go and and find out that it was dead before you left the driveway.

Here is the link for truck and winch

Recon 264100PPW 10,500lb Performance Winch | TruckandWinch.com

2013 JK Sport 6 Speed with 3.73
LOD Mid width Sig Winch bumper
RECON 10500 Syth Winch
RotoPaX Tire Carrier with 2 gal
Extender 4gal total
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDawg72
My 2 cents...
Don't skimp on a winch... I have seen cheap ones quit working on the trail. This is a very important accessory!

Kinda like insurance... when you do finally need it, you want it to be good.

The new Warn Zeon line is definitely not entry level stuff and is very hard to beat for the money. I have owned 5 Warn winches and currently still have 3 (JK, TJ, FJ).
Agree. Not to mention higher end winches generally have much faster line speeds
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ yes the recon is painfully slow. Add a Snatch-block and its like watching paint dry. But if it gets you out of a jam who cares how long it takes. There is also a video on youtube where they do a line speed test with 2 jeeps across a parking lot. Needless to say the superwinch was done and the recon was only halfway. But if it gets you out of a jam who cares unless you in a hurry to get stuck again
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Buy American?

I always buy USA unless there are no other options. The Chinese stuff works fine but I rather see it on a Toyota

Quick Reply: Winches is there really a difference?