Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches is there really a difference?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches is there really a difference?

I am shopping for a winch and have read a thousand reviews. I know it is the Ford Chevy debate most of the time when you ask in a forum. I can't find many people saying bad things about Warn accept they cost to much. So I have been putting my pennies away for a while and a thousand or so dollars is doable. I am more of an off roader than a hard core wheeler but most is done alone (dog has shotgun). I'm in New Hampshire so no rock crawling, more of a to much mud or to steep a hill thing. I have a full width bumper so I plan to go synthetic for safety and weight.
So the question is... The VR10000s or the Zeon? I can't find much for a review on the Zeon since it is so new. The VR is entry level but it is going on a JKU so I need the 10k rating, I think... Or am I making to much out of this and I should save the cash and get a Smittybuilt? Thanks All.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Check out the Recon 10,500 with synthetic line. That's what I'm looking at.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Warn are probably the best winches out there. That being said, I think the Warn winches you mentioned are their entry level winches that are made in China. So in my opinion these winches fall more into the category of Smittybilt and others like it.
There are alot of people running other winches, and are happy with them. I guess only you can decide which is best for you. I went with a Mile Marker winch and have been totally happy with it.
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong about these Warn winches being made in China.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

The zeon is definitely not an entry level warn. The vr is. I have the zeon and recommend it
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

I have the Smittbuilt X20 comp/10000 and I recommend it. It's well worth the money.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

How long have you had the Zeon and how much have you used it? I haven't seen much for reviews. Looking at the specs it seems like it is worth the extra $300 over the VR.
As far as the VR made in China it would seem it would have to be since it is about the same price as the Mile Marker and the Recon give or take $100. I haven't seen many bad reviews on the VR though. Most of the others have some pretty bad horror stories out there. I guess it is more likely that you would see bad reviews on the cheaper ones since more people can afford them and most of us entry level winch users would beat the crap out of them without even knowing it. If you spend the cash for a PowerPlant you would tend to be more aware of its limitations and not blow it up.
Thanks for the input guys!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After looking at my options and talking to my wife about it She wanted me to get a winch with a synth line because she said that steel lines stretch and hold a-lot of knetic energy. So I looked at a winch double gross weight in the 10K to 12K range. I looked at Warn, Super-winch, Ramsey and smittybilt. Warn was over $1,000 Ramsey and super-winch were not too much cheaper. So I took a hard look at Smittybilt but read more bad things than good. I started to search the threads and found one about the Recon 10500. After watching a youtube video of this winch pulling a moving truck out of mud up to its axles I was sold. You really cant beat the recon 10500 its waterproof comes with both wired and wireless remotes. The synth line is awesome and comes with everything you need to start winching all for under $500 shipped. Just get a recovery strap, sntach block and some good 7/8 Clevis bolts bolts for your winch bumper and your ready to rock.

2013 JK Sport 3.73
LOD Mid width Bumper
RECON 10500 Winch
RotoPaX Tire carrier
With 2 gal extender
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Okay where did you find a Recon for under $500?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Like many things , you get what you pay for. If I am hanging on the edge of a cliff , do I want Chinese , or an American made winch ? Do I want the winch to last the life of the vehicle ? Is the winch servicable , and how are parts to get ahold of if there is an issue ? How long has the company been in buisiness ? Are they going out of buisiness ?. Just some questions to ask yourself before making a purchase . Good luck !
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

My 2 cents...
Don't skimp on a winch... I have seen cheap ones quit working on the trail. This is a very important accessory!

Kinda like insurance... when you do finally need it, you want it to be good.

The new Warn Zeon line is definitely not entry level stuff and is very hard to beat for the money. I have owned 5 Warn winches and currently still have 3 (JK, TJ, FJ).

Quick Reply: Winches is there really a difference?