Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches with Air Compressors

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches with Air Compressors

For the past few weeks I have been looking at winches. I've read the posts about synthetic line vs cable and all the pros/cons. Now I am contemplating the idea of getting a winch/compressor combo. The main reason for the compressor would be to fill my tires after I air down. Its the smittybilt xrc 10 HD winch and comes with coil hose, fittings, and 2.5 gallon auxillary tank. I was looking at the smittybilt xrc 10 comp series winch, but I can get this one at the same price.

One thing I did notice is the comp series winch has synthetic line and a 218:1 ratio while the compressor winch has cable with a ratio of 148.2:1. I dont want to sacrifice performance just to have the compressor....I can always get one separate. They are the same price so my question is $550 which one is the better deal?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the warn powehouse 9500, compressor and winch combo and cannot say enough good things about it. Works like a dream.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

://www.titanwinches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2

how about this one. just at the http to the link.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

The Warn Powerplants come with an onboard 1/2 gallon tank. It's built right into the winch and you never see it. This helps make the PP a little better than just a regular compressor. It works great for airing up, resetting beads, I've never used pneumatic tools on it.

Personally, if I was going to go through the trouble of mounting a real tank, I'd probably go with an ARB or Viaire system over a compressor on the winch. I don't know about hte XRC but with the PP you have to manually switch over the motor from air to winch, so if you in winch mode you can't air up your 2.5 gal tank without stopping and swithcing over.

I had no intentions on getting a PP but I was suprised for x-mas and I'm not going to complain. But there is also the idea of isolating the two system so if your winch breaks, you still ahve air and visa versa.

I do like having an easily accessable air connection though. With an ARB you ahve to pop the hood to get to the compressor unless you get tricky and plumb in a disconnect up on the grill or something.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmacJK
I went with the warn powehouse 9500, compressor and winch combo and cannot say enough good things about it. Works like a dream.
i know i am highjacking my own thread, but can you post a side view of your bumper and the winch. i am waiting on my LOD midwidth to come in and I wanted to see with the powerhouse how much clearence you would have between the winch and bumper hoop to mount lights beneath the winch hoop.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind that if your winch breaks and you need repair, you will loose the compresor also or if the compresor breaks, u loose your winch. something to think about.

personally, i would keep the winch seperate from the air compressor. you can still buy a good winch, compressor, and 2.5 gal air tank and all the parts etc.. for less than getting the warn powerplant.

edit: ok just checked out the smittybilt xrc 10 HD winch, that seems like a pretty good combo. without pricing everything out, i dont know if u could buy everything seperate and be cheaper or not. but i still say keep air and winch 2 seperate systems if u can

Last edited by captjay; 02-16-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey

The midwidth includes a place to put lights on the top of the tube that goes over the winch.

Here is a front on pic with the mount points circled in red

Originally Posted by twarne01
i know i am highjacking my own thread, but can you post a side view of your bumper and the winch. i am waiting on my LOD midwidth to come in and I wanted to see with the powerhouse how much clearence you would have between the winch and bumper hoop to mount lights beneath the winch hoop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	frontlod.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	37304  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Here's mine on a LOD mid-width.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	UntitledMA26156594-0001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	37305   Click image for larger version

Name:	UntitledMA26156602-0002.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	37306  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FGuedon
Here's mine on a LOD mid-width.
Great looking ride!!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRed
The Warn Powerplants come with an onboard 1/2 gallon tank. It's built right into the winch and you never see it. This helps make the PP a little better than just a regular compressor. It works great for airing up, resetting beads, I've never used pneumatic tools on it.

Personally, if I was going to go through the trouble of mounting a real tank, I'd probably go with an ARB or Viaire system over a compressor on the winch. I don't know about hte XRC but with the PP you have to manually switch over the motor from air to winch, so if you in winch mode you can't air up your 2.5 gal tank without stopping and swithcing over.

I had no intentions on getting a PP but I was suprised for x-mas and I'm not going to complain. But there is also the idea of isolating the two system so if your winch breaks, you still ahve air and visa versa.

I do like having an easily accessable air connection though. With an ARB you ahve to pop the hood to get to the compressor unless you get tricky and plumb in a disconnect up on the grill or something.
Powerplant is the way to go with synthetic. It is a mindless operation, anyone can operate it. The airing ups is quick and easy as I help others too. It take me 70 seconds per tire and I time it and it is right on. The set up is quick, simple and works great. I went to Sears and purchased a 25' straight air hose and I can air up all my tires and reach to other Jeeps too. I also have the wireless remote and it only works for winching, as YOU MUST HAVE the cable controller to activate the air compressor. You don't have to worry about a tank and the install in clean. Happy winching with my PowerPlant It is worth the little extra especially knowing you have the reliability of Warn.

Quick Reply: Winches with Air Compressors