Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winches

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a comparison that was on another thread about winches:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

chuck
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default my 2cents

How much winch budget available?

What load rating can your winch plate or bumper handle?
dont install 16k# winch on a 9500K # rated plate or bumper.

are your front springs prepared to support a 115# winch + 50# plate or a new 80+# winch bumper. This much weight will add to JK's oem stinkbug hot rod saggy front look.

Consider a winch with synthetic line already installed to cut 40# off weight and an aluminum fairlead for the line.

Or replace steel line with synthetic and you have a spare steel line. Witnessing synthetic line break sold me considering steel cables whip action on breaking. safety is #1.

superwinch has a new epi 9.0 from factory with synthetic line and aluminum fairlead. A JK forum vendor had a deal on these.

My 1st winch was a warn 9.5ti. Sold with 04' wrangler before bought JK. Today my epi 9.0 arrived to install on rough country winch plate this weekend.

No problems with warn. Recovered friends more than myself. I guess if you have winch you will never need it, but if you dont have one, you will wish you had it one time.

Wanted to try a different brand at a lower entry price and am replacing steel line with synthetic. the epi9.0 came with snatch block and roller fairlead.

I have re 3.5 front springs with 3/4 coil spacers so am interested to see how the winch, plate, and mopar steel front skid levels out jeep with front end sitting a little higher right now.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of those questions. I too have looked for the "best" winch for my Jeep and all I can tell you is it all depends on how YOU see your needs for the winch and how much money you want to put towards that need.

My decision process has put me with- : Superwinch epi 9000 This is a lot of winch for the money. I have seen it used and it has good line speed, 125' of line,heavy duty construction, and even comes with a Pulley Block for $600. This is a quality winch.
Features:
Wire rope measures 125' x 21/64"
Rubber handheld remote with 15' lead for convenient and safe use
Dimensions measure 23.35" l. x 6.26" d. x 7.13" h; 114-lbs
20,000 pound capacity Pulley Block and Roller Fairlead included
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

i agree it is a good kind of insane but everything is new and im just trying to find the best for my circumstance but it is fun i have 2 of the quadratec mags worn out just flipping back and forth
Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

You do have to give a new thread some time, It may take awhile for responces, sometimes the next day.. Everybody is on here at diffrent times,making new threads dosent help .. It just insights riots. Good LUCK WITH YOUR WINCH..
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Hmmm....
well, to me... one who buys a Rubicon, shouldnt be worried about spending a little extra on a winch...? (am i wrong here..?)

i mean, i'm not bashing or anything... but you didnt skimp on the vehicle, so why skimp on the equipment?
I say, if your gonna wheel it, and there is a potential to "need" a winch... the yes "you get what you pay for".

I mean heck... you could buy a rubi, and build "wood half doors" if you wanted.
its all about you.

(again...not rubi bashing) but i couldnt afford a Rubi... i would have liked too, but i dont think i could use it to its full potential. Like buying an H1 hummer, and never getting it dirty...

I have a Warn 9.5ti for mine... (not installed yet, waiting on the bumper)
for my X... which i DO use it. Me and the family love it... (and its been washed twice in a year...) but i do love it.

So... buy your gear like you life DOES depend on it... even if you never "need" it... (and not for cool points) but someone else will be glad you have it... that is, if you get out where stuff happens and people actually use this stuff and its not all polished up/high dollar "look at me" stuff.
You might have to pull a lowerd H2 off a speed bump at the mall...?
if you do, be sure and take pictures...

buy it and take it out on the trails... someone will come along and show you how to use it... they might even be driving a Hummer. (ok ok, minimal hummer bashing... thats ok... right?)

trial and error, ( just watch the fingers...) read the manual, that works too...

gosh, didnt mean to rant... but if i started 4 or 5 post... i'd expect a good come back too...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

i do want to thank all you guys for your reassurance im sorry that im new to this sight and i didnt get it at first but i am a quick learner! i am new and i am hoping that all you veterans can give a new guy a shot at learning the ropes so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like was said above, you bought a Rubi, buy a little more winch than you think you are going to need. The Rubi could let you get a little deeper into the crap then you might with an X or Sahara. Warn is top of the line.
Really search winches, there is an entire education to be found in past threads.

And I would prefer if you referred to me as an arrogant asshole, not a jerk, in the future. It's a label I am comfortable with.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

damn yeti i thought you just wanted to be a jerk and then all of the sudden you changed your tune thanks for your help im thinking superwinch epi 9000 what do you think?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chameeleon22,

I just picked-up a Warn 9500lb HP Power Plant. Yes, it's not cheap. But I wanted a good winch and also really wanted to have a good on boad air system.

The Power Plant did both of the above. It's one of the best (not cheapest) winches out there. Plus it has a great Air Compressor set-up.

I had a Warn on my old CJ and I could'nt kill that thing. In fact the guy who bought the CJ off of me still has the same winch today on his TJ.

Just do your homework, and really think of how your going to use a winch and what are the things in a winch you are looking for. You'll be alright.....

Quick Reply: winches