Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winches

Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winches

i am looking to put a winch on my 2008 rubicon and i need all the suggestions i can get if anyone out there con help me as far as what kind for occasional use what kind of mounting plate or any other advice that would be helpful it would be much appreciated
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default i need winch help

any advice that anyone has to offer about a winch on a 08 rubicon would be great i have been researching for awhile noe and cant make a decision
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default i need winch help

can anyone help me with winch troubles
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default i need help with winches but not the ones with boobies

does anyone have any suggestions on a winch for an 08 rubicon any help would be awesome
Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had real good luck with my Warn 9500 Ti on my old TJ for the past 4 years.
But it was/is expensive and I'm only an occasional user.

Questions:
Mounting it to the stock bumper? or an aftermarket one...Not all brands are compatible, but most are.

Use:
What kind of wheeling do you do and how often ie: rocks, mud, big hills, group rides?

Experience:
Get yourself a good accessory kit and know how to use it. Snatch blocks, cable weight, gloves, tree saver, D rings, Gloves, Gloves....

LIke most things, you get what you pay for. I think a winch is the single most valuable tool on any 4x4.

chuck
Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

thanks chuck i have been researching this for awhile but i dont know exactly what to do i see one that looks like a deal and then i see another that is more expensive and then i wonder if my use would be worht it right now i just dont want to get stuck plain and simple no matter what kind of wheeling i do warn seems a little to much for where i go but i do realize that you get what you pay for so this is my dilema
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this the third or fourth thread you opened asking the same question?
Trust me, once is more than enough, unless you didn't use SEARCH, then it is one to many.
Answer the questions you were asked in one of the other threads you started, then we will know enough to give you a half way informed answer.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

C:

You will find literally dozens of winches that will fit the bill...when picking one out, just remember the guideline of choosing one with a capacity that is approximately 1.5 times that of your GVWR. In other words, if the vehicle has a GVWR of 5000 pounds, you want a winch that can handle approximately 7500 pounds or more.

That being said, I have the Warn 9.5ti on my JK with the Thermometric indicator (temperature/condition of winch motor displayed on remote) and I absolutely love it. It is rated to 9500 lbs., so it is more than sufficient for my Jeep.

A lot of people also dig the Warn Powerplant (winch/air compressor all in one). You can't go wrong with pretty much anything from Warn. Superwinch is good as well. Good luck.

Russ D.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chameeleon22
thanks chuck i have been researching this for awhile but i dont know exactly what to do i see one that looks like a deal and then i see another that is more expensive and then i wonder if my use would be worht it right now i just dont want to get stuck plain and simple no matter what kind of wheeling i do warn seems a little to much for where i go but i do realize that you get what you pay for so this is my dilema

I feel your pain man
I've had my bone stock 08 for 2 weeks and I've worn out the quadratech & 4wd catalogues, Jp magazines ( and here) etc trying to get a plan together for my buildup.
There are so many choices for bumpers, lifts, wheels, tires,....I'm going insane, but its a good kind of insane!

chuck
Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

C:

You will find literally dozens of winches that will fit the bill...when picking one out, just remember the guideline of choosing one with a capacity that is approximately 1.5 times that of your GVWR. In other words, if the vehicle has a GVWR of 5000 pounds, you want a winch that can handle approximately 7500 pounds or more.

That being said, I have the Warn 9.5ti on my JK with the Thermometric indicator (temperature/condition of winch motor displayed on remote) and I absolutely love it. It is rated to 9500 lbs., so it is more than sufficient for my Jeep.

A lot of people also dig the Warn Powerplant (winch/air compressor all in one). You can't go wrong with pretty much anything from Warn. Superwinch is good as well. Good luck.

Russ D.

Quick Reply: winches