Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches!

So finally in the market and looking for a winch. I've read a lot of good reviews on smittybilt but want some real life reviews on it. Also I ran a warm xd9000 on my old tj. So what size should I be looking at for my jk. It is a 2 dr. Also any suggestions on what one to get are appreciated. I will be running steel cable. And the winch is going on a jcr dagger bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2659812300.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	731.8 KB
ID:	655351
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a Smittybilt XRC8 on my 2008 4 door. I had it for about 4 years until I sold the jeep. I used it often and it worked great, especially for a $300 winch. I'm running the Smittybilt X20 Comp (10k) on my 2013 2 door rubicon and like it as well.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running an XRC 9500 steel line on mine. had it for a couple of years and used it enough times that I'm confident in it!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Last 5 years had a power plant 9.5 from warn and now an m8000s.

The power plant pulled faster but the compressor was just ok. Like the m with the synthetic line it's not even 70#. Power plant with steel was probably 100.

Some good pulls on both that's really all that really stands out. Have buddies with engo rugged ridge super winch etc, really never seen one of em not get it done. Good straps, and good equipment make a difference. I've seen the examples of people with a winch, but no gear.

End up wrapping rope over itself, or around objects. No straps, no dampers, the trees on some trails show the facts.

With a winch comes gear, and you will hopefully never be in that bad a spot. Think about a rollover situation. How many shackles, straps, and possibly multiple winches can come into play?
Then again, going a bit overboard is the norm when it comes to safety in the middle of the mountains somewhere. Totally unrelated to the winch, but this is also where a good first aid kit can really be considered an article for the trail as well.

If the plan is to be wheeling in adverse conditions, testing the abilities of the jeep, you will want to be prepared. A lot of guys know the dude that got stuck wheeling alone with no "anything" to get there ass out. Shouldn't happen to anyone, but really does, and still really shouldn't happen.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

The Smittybuilt X20 is a good buy for the $
Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

One of the reasons winches fail is because they are not maintained. In the manuals it states to run the winch every month. If you allow it to sit then the solenoid can get hung up and you'll be left without a way out.

Buy what you'd like but maintain it.

Also- look into who has which warranty. The HF unit and similar cheap units will have all of the same guts but the warranty will vary.....so don't buy from a guy selling it out of his trunk, buy from a legit source so you can have warranty support.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Warn Zeon 10Ks is a work of art, but its so wide that not many bumpers will fit it without modification. The Warn M8000 is hard to beat if you can get it on sale, I think its the perfect mix of price, performance, reliability & warranty for a 2 door.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

When I was doing research for a winch I saw the Engo won that FW shootout for best value http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/ and didn't blow up. The difference between the 9k and the 12k was about $50 (the 12k is more energy efficient when pulling) and physically they were about the same. I kept asking questions and there were no negative comments going with the stronger winch so I bought the 12k.

Yesterday I tested/re-spooled it again (I'm going to Uwharrie tomorrow) without a problem.

That was 5 years ago so I'm sure there are better brands but size wise, if it fits in the bumper, I would go with the more powerful winch for the money and stress it less.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I went With warn m8000 because it does mot use old stile solenoids that the contacts could melt together in closed position and ruin your day. If remember Superwinch uses same solenoids instead of old contacts. Provides a little extra comfort
Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

As several others have said, the M8000 is a smart choice on the 2 dr. I've run it on several Jeeps from CJ to TJ to JK and use one on my current 2 dr JK now. Size v weight v performance is spot on for a 2 dr.

Quick Reply: Winches!