Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches

Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Quadratec Q11000 for several months now. So far no issues what so ever. I've used it move a nice boulder through my buddies garden. I really like the low profile that this winch has.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I'm going with a Warn M8000 when I can afford...$649 on amazon prime, that's free shipping and tax free.
They aren't tax free anymore from Amazon in this jacked up State of California!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by afalletta
Just got my warn rock crawler stubby bumper, time for that winch
Wow Ur the first one that I have seen with this bumper. Ive had mine since June of this year and I really like this bumper. It's pretty easy to install too, I did mine all by myself in a couple of hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121108_112014.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	386769
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-o
Wow Ur the first one that I have seen with this bumper. Ive had mine since June of this year and I really like this bumper. It's pretty easy to install too, I did mine all by myself in a couple of hours.

Attachment 386769
I see you have a cover on your winch. Sometimes that will keep moisture in. Just a thought .
Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by viking

I see you have a cover on your winch. Sometimes that will keep moisture in. Just a thought .
Ya it will but I will take it off soon when the rainy season starts. I put the cover on for summer cuz I live in so cal and I have synthetic rope
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are other things to consider with a winch besides cost and capacity.

For example, can you get parts for it down the road? I know my Warn will have parts for it 20 years from now.

Also, line speed it more important that you realize. Once the Jeep gains traction, it is nice to suck in the cable ASAP to keep from running over it.

I have also discovered that the more expensive winches are much quieter. Seems like no big deal unless you are standing near it for awhile.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
There are other things to consider with a winch besides cost and capacity.

For example, can you get parts for it down the road? I know my Warn will have parts for it 20 years from now.

Also, line speed it more important that you realize. Once the Jeep gains traction, it is nice to suck in the cable ASAP to keep from running over it.

I have also discovered that the more expensive winches are much quieter. Seems like no big deal unless you are standing near it for awhile.

Winch prices have come down so much that if they break, sometimes its cheaper to buy a new one. Just like TV's these days! Now, if you drop a thousand or more on a winch, then yes, you want parts readily available. I have no experience in this space but with the amount of cheaper winches being made and sold, I would guess that the parts inside are not too challenging to find and fix.

Line speed is definitley a good thing to keep in mind. Quadratec has a chart on line speed comparisons that shows their winch vs. others. I think the Watn they compare against is one of the chepaer priced ones so line speed is very slow. But, those of us that play Offraod nation app know that the more expensive Warn has killer line speed!

Quick Reply: Winches