Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winches

Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches

I'm in the market for a winch, the new quadratec winch with the integrated solenod is out, anyone running this winch?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Things to consider.

1. How much are you going to use the winch

2. How hard of a spot are you going to be in when you need it.

3. How much do you want to spend.

Their are some great winches out their. People that only use a winch once or twice a year or the life of the jeep, I would suggest using a lower cost winch.

If your going to use the crap out of it, and REALLY REALLY need it to work when you ask it to. I would suggest a winch that has a LOT of R and D.

Their is a reason that their is such a big cost difference between winches.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. On the last trip out, a cheaper winch failed. Not good for the driver of that Jeep. If it is going to be relied upon, spend the money the first time.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Quadratec winch is made in China like other popular winches (Smitty, Recon, Engo). Quadratec claims that they are not the same plants as others use so their qaulity is more controlled by Quadratec (this is what they say anyway).

There has been no proof that any of the chinese made winches fail at a higher rate than brands like Warn. Any of the articles you read in popular 4wd magazines are heavily biased in their results so I wouldn't put much faith in what you read there.

My suggestions is go out wheeling with a club or with a bunch of people that go on a regular basis and see what they run for winches. Ask about problems in the arae you live (hot/dry/wet/cold). See if there are any recurring issues with cheaper priced winches.

I can tell you that hardly anyone in my club can afford a warn so no one has one. We all use chinese made winches and I have yet to see one fail in 3 years of wheeling with them. AND...most importanty....we always make sure we have more than one winch in the group. It's not smart to go wheeling with only one person with that kind of recovery gear. In fact, last 2 trail runs I've gone on, we have had more rigs with winches than without.

if your goal is to be using this thing daily and constatntly, it won't matter if you go U.S or Chinese if you end up buying the wrong type of winch. Some are made for occasional use like for monthly or weekly wheeling trips. Others are made for constant duty and will hold up basically 24/7. If you need that, then you are going to be limited to companies like Warn or Mile Marker (Mile Markers are awesome by the way!).
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm interested too. Was thinking about getting the new Quadratec winch next week.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

You can never go wrong with a Warn winch. They have assorted prices and styles. I have a M-8000 and has not let me down. Very reliable. It is one of those insurance things. You can go cheap but will it work when you want it too.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going with a Warn M8000 when I can afford...$649 on amazon prime, that's free shipping and tax free.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my warn rock crawler stubby bumper, time for that winch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1170624160.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	386757   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-511905545.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	386758  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viking
You can never go wrong with a Warn winch. They have assorted prices and styles. I have a M-8000 and has not let me down. Very reliable. It is one of those insurance things. You can go cheap but will it work when you want it too.
I agree you can put a price on it but a warn winch is worth the money long run. I used one on my XJ. and never in 3 years of owning it did I ever have a problem till a lady hit me head on and crushed it with her pickup. but on the trial you couldnt beat it it was worth the extra cake up front.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

I love my Superwinch. Like other people have said, Ive seen the more economical winch fail when needed. My Superwinch is rock solid, always performed and its submersible. Best $800 Ive ever spent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-24_13-38-59_389.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	386764

Pulled out my friends H3 truck and the tree stump it was stuck on with no problems whats so ever. We didnt even realize that the tree stump was being pulled out till the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1638.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	386766

Last edited by Sapper12b; 11-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Winches