Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch vs. lockers

Old 06-14-2008, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3073b
What about a rear locker only and a winch? The front locker is 1/10th as useful as the rear but costs just as much.

Bryan.
Completely untrue. In a short wheelbase Jeep...maybe (although not the 1/10th you claim). In the longer wheelbase Unlimited...I would disagree. I have had many Jeeps, 2 of which were locked only in the rear. My Unlimited with only a front locker (for now) is much more capable than either of those 2 Jeeps. Heck, I would put it up against my fully locked Scrambler any day. Besides that, an Aussie locker will fit in the front of the JK at a cost of only $250. There aren't any "lunch box" lockers available for the rear so the cost is considerably higher for those on a tight budget.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3073b
What about a rear locker only and a winch? The front locker is 1/10th as useful as the rear but costs just as much.

Bryan.
I used to think that as well, but I have seen some good arguements against it, good enough that I am at least open to the concept of the front being worth considering. I'll likely end up locked in front first, as I intend to do the front D44 upgrade, so I will find out for myself.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Freak

With the right recovery equipment there is no place that Jeep can't go. Lockers or great to have, but the winch is the very first improvement I would make.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just a rear locker and no winch and I go out by myself a lot(alot). I would feel much better if I had a winch because I feel like the lockers take me a little too far sometimes and I wonder if I'm gonna' get stuck and not be able to recover. Of course we only have mud here in south florida.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Lockers look great? Maybe it's that switch on the dash.
I think he was trying to say the lifts looks great?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am somewhat in your situation. I want both but I have opted for the winch first. The Aussie locker for the front is about $240 and I will install it myself. I have wheeled mine and know first hand that it goes through a lot more than I thought it could. The winch is my next purchase because I know that the locker will give me more confidence to push further into the limits. My signature has the order and type of winch and locker I plan on purchasing. I have the bumper covered but that's a story all it's own. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Regarding front or rear locker, consider your terrain. In FL, I would imagine you're looking at mud and sand - NOT rocks or hills. A front locker is really effective at pulling the front up over rocks (where a rear locker would just push you into them). However, a front locker doesn't do alot for hills due to the rearward weight transfer which effectively removes traction from the front tires. If you're going straight, and flat, then a rear locker may seem like a better deal. And, since you'll be using more go pedal to get through mud or sand, the locker is on the stronger axle. The downside is that you're still pushing the front and it won't steer or float as well. Pick your poison. I say get the winch, then a front locker, and then the rear locker.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mizedog
However, a front locker doesn't do alot for hills due to the rearward weight transfer which effectively removes traction from the front tires.
I'd have to disagree with that. Wheeling in my truck was night and day different once I put the front locker in. Once you lock the front you can count on it not breaking traction as easily. Hill climbs will be much easier with a locked front.

Quick Reply: winch vs. lockers