Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch vs. lockers

Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to would probably go for the winch right now. when you get stuck with lockers,,,your really stuck.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Winch first......the lockers may take you someplace that if you get stuck you will need the winch to get you out.

Another good point. Lockers may get you farther, but if may still get stuck, wheel enough and you will always find the limits of your rig, usually the hard way
Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Go either way...if you get the winch you'll never need the lockers....and if you get the lockers you'll never need the winch.......but your buddies may need the winch
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow great response, thanks all. I'm still alittle lost on pricing. If i'm running 35x12.5s what size winch would i be looking at? from thumbing through my quadratec, it seems the price of locking both axles or buying a winch (plus bumper) would cost around the same. again, i'm still alittle hazy on which set of lockers to get, considering this is my daily driver as well, so would selectable be better? any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go the way of the winch.
Have you wheeled you JK yet? do you even need lockers??? You may find that once you have been wheeling without lockers you may or may not even need them.. I know, I ride in a lot of soft sand, and once aired down 15-18 PSI, I float right across the sand and lockers, winch, or even a lift would just be a waste of money, although they all look great.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by racer83l
... I float right across the sand and lockers, winch, or even a lift would just be a waste of money, although they all look great.
Lockers look great? Maybe it's that switch on the dash.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I owned an 07 Unlimited X on 35". It had 4.10's and LSD. It was super capable and went almost everywhere I wanted.

I now have an 08 Unlimited Rubi which is stock + 3/4" leveling spacers.

The main difference is control. The lockers allow me to walk up pretty much anything with no wheel spin. The LSD on my 07 required me to spin the tires a bit before it would kick in.

I say lock the rear and get some sway disco's and you're set.

I don't think anybody would say don't ever get a winch.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
One word. Alot! )
a lot is 2 words. Sorry I'm bored.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
a lot is 2 words. Sorry I'm bored.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I have the Rubicon with Lockers, I went with the winch right away.

Have the Superwinch EPi and it is awesome. Just today, I did something really stupid showing some friends that were with me on a ride in the mountains of Col. just how great it would climb. Woops, dumb old me. I high centered it and no matter how much of a locker you have, there are times it will not help a bit. The winch came to the rescue!

With all of that being said, I would go for a winch first and then lockers if needed. When you go just a bit to far with the lockers, a winch is going to be needed!

I have an Lod bumper that is awesome too. Superwinch fits perfectly and has worked perfectly too.

Quick Reply: winch vs. lockers