Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch vs. lockers

Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch vs. lockers

In the near future, i'll be looking to purchase either a winch and heavy duty bumber, or a LSD for my new jeep. I'm clueless as the total cost including install on the LSD, but have a good idea of the winch. I was wondering, which one would be the better buy for my new jeep thats going to see light mud but regular trail use? I should mention too it will see alot of soft sand too.

Last edited by armdong; 06-13-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lock it up so you dont need a winch. ( I have both diff's locked and a Dual force winch )
Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. LSD is not a "locker"
2. I would recommend the winch first, and locker later (I'm not saying I would actually do it in this order because lockers add more "fun factor." It's just that I RECOMMEND them in that order). Lockers do keep you from getting stuck as often, but when you ARE stuck, it's usually worse than if you didn't have lockers.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
1. LSD is not a "locker"
maybe you could help me distinguish the benefits of a limited slip differential vs lockers?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

if i remember correctly... lockers make all wheels spin at same speed regardless of traction or not

LSD... transfers power to wheels that are getting traction and away from those slipping

i think
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get the winch first. You might find that a Locker just gets you even more stuck and then what are you going to do to get out of that mess?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armdong
maybe you could help me distinguish the benefits of a limited slip differential vs lockers?
LSD's use friction (inside the differential) to transfer power away from a slipping wheel and to the one with traction. Although they are helpful, they never fully lock the axle shafts together. A locker (automatic or selectable) has the ability fo fully lock the axleshafts together, guaranteeing that both wheels are turning (like a spool). Lockers still allow for speed differentiation between the wheels under normal operation (either manually via a switch, or automatically).
Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are going to be times where lockers will not help you at all; a winch will get you out, lockers will not.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Winch first......the lockers may take you someplace that if you get stuck you will need the winch to get you out.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Renegade
1. LSD is not a "locker"
2. I would recommend the winch first, and locker later (I'm not saying I would actually do it in this order because lockers add more "fun factor." It's just that I RECOMMEND them in that order). Lockers do keep you from getting stuck as often, but when you ARE stuck, it's usually worse than if you didn't have lockers.

X2. Unless you always wheel with others (which you should), then I might make a case for lockers, but a winch is definitely a "safer" option to have.

Quick Reply: winch vs. lockers