Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Uses?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Uses?

Finally tried out the Smittybilt a couple weeks ago, and it worked great. I didn't but my buddy may have gotten some picks and or video of the recovery. My cameraman/navigator got some before pictures and after video of me driving the rest of the way. I had to take an improvised shortcut as the trail I was on got really hairy up at Crozet. The bypass was where I got stuck, so you know the obstacle was bad. The guys on 35-37s were scraping and getting minor body damage, so I knew my stock Rubi was out of its element. I'll try it next year after the lift.

My question is:

Can I use my winch to pull out a boxwood bush in my yard? Is this insanely stupid and/or dangerous? Will it hurt the winch and/or Jeep? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can and I use mine, on my CJ, to help with tree cutting; fence; rocks; and tractor implements that need to be repaired, i.e. straightened when I hit something I'm not supposed to......

Just don't trust it to hold any weight above you if you are under it, ouch....
Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Can I use my winch to pull out a boxwood bush in my yard? Is this insanely stupid and/or dangerous? Will it hurt the winch and/or Jeep? Thanks!
It can be both. I would suggest more than one heavy blanket. Dig out the bush as best you can first and then go slow. Reverse the winch as soon as the bush starts to move. A winch will be under tension that will recoil, if not reversed, when the bush comes free. Myself, I perfer an old yank strap for bush removal
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, you can use it. Just remember safety even when you are not doing off road recovery. I used mine to pull an 80' well pump, and to remove a buried fridge in my back yard (don't ask).
Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only use a coffe can to bury my money, not a refrigerator!!! Wow!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

If you do decide to tackle the bushes be very careful. A guy not 10 miles from my house was killed a couple of years ago trying to pull a friends bush out with his wrecker; what ever they were using to connect to the bush gave way, needless to say he was struck in the head and died.

I tried to find the article online but had no luck; seems to me he was a fairly young guy if I remeber correctly, but then again, we are all to young to go out that way.

Quick Reply: Winch Uses?