Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch spooling

Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Does anyone have a great way they use that works all the time? Please don't tell me to buy a synthetic...when that happens it'll happen, until then please help me out here

Thanks everyone
In terms of spooling, synthetic will not make a difference.

Originally Posted by mark c
Just wondering do u have to do this with synthetic rope?
Yes, most definitely! Synthetic line can otherwise be seriously damaged.

I use the concrete base of a light pole at the school parking lot, since no suitable trees are nearby. I have the driver apply either the parking or foot brake until there is sufficient drag while I spool. There should be enough drag to make the winch work hard, with the front suspension compressing slightly.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

All answers are very helpful, thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-spooled my synthetic line. Hooked to a tree and gave the parking brake a couple of clicks. I was by my self, so I had to keep stopping to turn the steering wheel back and forth, but it worked fine. Then I got distracted putting the winch cover back on and hit the trail for a couple hours = leaving my tree strap laying at the base of the tree. Luckily, it was still there when I went back. Nobody else around on a weekday afternoon...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hook my winch to my rhino and throw her in N with low pressure in the tires. Seems to work out well.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Did some quick searches on the best way to spool in my warn m8000 and find most people either use a tree with an incline or another vehicle.

Does anyone have a great way they use that works all the time? Please don't tell me to buy a synthetic...when that happens it'll happen, until then please help me out here

Thanks everyone
Important you get everything back in place with little pressure. You don't want the spool loose or messy.

Quick Reply: Winch spooling