Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch spooling

Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch spooling

Did some quick searches on the best way to spool in my warn m8000 and find most people either use a tree with an incline or another vehicle.

Does anyone have a great way they use that works all the time? Please don't tell me to buy a synthetic...when that happens it'll happen, until then please help me out here

Thanks everyone
Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm another tree and SLIGHT incline guy. Sometimes I let my underage son due in the jk to apply some brakes. I also found a good spot locally in a parking lot that has an online and a guardrail to attach to. Plenty of room and No tree to hurt.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I hook on to the trailer hitch of my neighbor's truck across the street. makes for interesting fun when others come down the street!!

just kidding, but I do hook on to the trailer hitch of the wife's vehicle. Put the heep in neutral with the e-brake clicked a few times, and away we go.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CerOf
I hook on to the trailer hitch of my neighbor's truck across the street. makes for interesting fun when others come down the street!!

just kidding, but I do hook on to the trailer hitch of the wife's vehicle. Put the heep in neutral with the e-brake clicked a few times, and away we go.
Just do not hook on to the actual ball. That is not meant for that type of stress and will snap back and KILL YOU!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Yeah maybe I'll hook onto a hitch
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just ordered a winch but I gotta wait a few weeks to get it unfortunately in didn't read the ebay info got updated and the guy selling em had family issues and won't be back till the 16th...But o well, anyway I've heard about doing this when I get a new winch... What is it? I guess I unroll the spool all the way and winch the jeep in?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
I just ordered a winch but I gotta wait a few weeks to get it unfortunately in didn't read the ebay info got updated and the guy selling em had family issues and won't be back till the 16th...But o well, anyway I've heard about doing this when I get a new winch... What is it? I guess I unroll the spool all the way and winch the jeep in?
Yup. And ya gotta spool up like you do a garden hose...
nice and even layers, with tension on it, left to right then
right to left....overlap each layer until your done. it's best
done by 2 people. One working the winch, the other steers
the jeep,(left and right, on command.)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Read the instructions that come with your winch. Also check out Warn's website. YouTube also had good info and tips, like: always step ON the cable when crossing over one that's laying on the ground, don't step over it because of it happens to suddenly become taught for some reason, you don't want it between you legs!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the point of doing this anyway? I'm not a newb to Wheelin but I've never had a winch before and don't know too much bout them....
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not re spool your cable when it is time to use your winch the cable will get all bound up and it could damage it and you my not let you un spool it.
The following users liked this post:
Simikilr (12-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Winch spooling