Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Remote

Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Remote

Finally looking at getting a winch. From previous posts it appears warn is the choice of most. However, my question is does anyone have the wireless winch remote? How do you like it? What are advantages/disadvantages of going this route over traditional wire method? Thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't really see an advantage of this but maybe someone will chime in. I plan on hard wiring a switch in the cab for mine. I think this would be the better way to go.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

When winching, you really need to be seated in the driver's seat of your vehicle with the winch controller in your hand because this is the safest place to be. I really don't see any significant difference between whether that controller is wired or wireless. Wireless costs more, so the win goes to wired (IMHO, of course).
Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I was thinking about the potential for wire scratches when I use it from inside the jeep. Is this a problem? Also, if you direct wire to switch inside jeep can you still operate winch from outside of jeep (ie if you are by yourself trying to respool the wire on winch).
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When winching, you really need to be seated in the driver's seat of your vehicle with the winch controller in your hand because this is the safest place to be. I really don't see any significant difference between whether that controller is wired or wireless. Wireless costs more, so the win goes to wired (IMHO, of course).
I'm not sure I agree with that. If the line breaks, it will rebound, and rebound in the direction opposite of the force that broke it. A windshield is a poor safety device for anything other than bugs. The rumors that always go around have to do with hunks of metal (hooks, shackles, etc.) going through a front or back window and taking out someones head.

But I will preface that with the fact that you have to know what you are doing and have a sense of what is going on. Winching is inherently dangerous and the key is to minimize the risk. If your not anywhere close to the winch or cable capacity, then likely not a lot of risk, but when you start pushing the limits, risk increase and you want to take more proactive measures to stay safe (such as standing as far away as you can, raising a hood to act as a barrier, etc.)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnoles
Thanks. I was thinking about the potential for wire scratches when I use it from inside the jeep. Is this a problem? Also, if you direct wire to switch inside jeep can you still operate winch from outside of jeep (ie if you are by yourself trying to respool the wire on winch).
Scratches? I would assume if you are wheeling where you will need to winch, you'll already have enough scratches that a few minor ones from a cord won't matter.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdash
I'm not sure I agree with that. If the line breaks, it will rebound, and rebound in the direction opposite of the force that broke it. A windshield is a poor safety device for anything other than bugs. The rumors that always go around have to do with hunks of metal (hooks, shackles, etc.) going through a front or back window and taking out someones head. ...
I've never heard those rumors. Perhaps your experience is broader than mine (entirely possible) and Warn's (maybe not so likely--see page 14, step 13 and the adjacent figure). As for putting up the hood: Maybe--if it doesn't interfere with your view of the winching operation. Otherwise, definitely not.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the wireless kit for my Warn, and I'm pretty happt with it. One thing that's nice is that if I'm lazy ( ), I can have someone pull the cable and not have to dig out and plug in the wired remote, because I keep the wireless one in my console. Also lets me get in and out easier if I have the doors on, because I don't have a cable strung through a window. One thing that I don't like about it is that precise winch control is much harder. Whereas the wired one will let you bump it a bit each time, pressing the button ont he wireless and letting go always gives you a couple seconds of pull, which sometimes is too much. Al in all, I'm still very happy and I got a smoking deal on it which helped as well.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the remote and love it. I can move around and control the winch from many locations and don't worry about dealing with the wire. From a convenience perspective, I think it is a great addition. If you are looking to justify spending the money, then it is hard to out a $ value on convenience. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the remote every time.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cdash
I'm not sure I agree with that. If the line breaks, it will rebound, and rebound in the direction opposite of the force that broke it. A windshield is a poor safety device for anything other than bugs. The rumors that always go around have to do with hunks of metal (hooks, shackles, etc.) going through a front or back window and taking out someones head.

But I will preface that with the fact that you have to know what you are doing and have a sense of what is going on. Winching is inherently dangerous and the key is to minimize the risk. If your not anywhere close to the winch or cable capacity, then likely not a lot of risk, but when you start pushing the limits, risk increase and you want to take more proactive measures to stay safe (such as standing as far away as you can, raising a hood to act as a barrier, etc.)
Excellent comments and so true is the windshield is a false sense of security and safety. A remote is great for the following additional reasons: 1) if your operating the winch alone, you don't have to worry about the cable or wire on the remote to possible get tangles or cause you to take your eye off what you are doing, 2) if you are setting up anchors it is great to remotely give more slack or take up a little slack. I have a pull-pal and find the remote to be the best for my applications. 3) you can carefully operate the winch at a safe location and you can move as conditions change, you're not stock to the limitations of the winch controller wire. 4) simple way to work the remote and to rewind the cable or repack the wind.

Both have their advantages. Just carry a lot of shackles, two blocks and 2-tree straps, they all come in handy especially for recovery. You don't want to run short.!

Quick Reply: Winch Remote