Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch regrets?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BryGuy
This is pretty well how I feel as well. I'm not going to be wheeling very often, but I want some insurance that I can get out of a bad spot. Use a cheap winch twice and you've already paid for it vs being towed out.

With that in mind check out THIS article from JP Magazine titled "Winch Buyers Guide - The Affordable Winch Review. Big Pull, Little Dollars". You can even purchase the entire back issue digitally for .99

Based on the article and other members opinions, I think I'm going with the Smittybilt XRC 8 (tons of threads discussing this one).

Hope this helps
Yep. JP subscriber so I had read that. I have had a lot of folks I trust tell me the Smittybilt is cr*p and not to bother but in the end I am going to give the XRC8 a shot because it makes more sense at the moment. I can't afford what I really want just yet (Warn Powerplant) and this weekend you can get an XRC8 for $250 with the 15% discount 4WD.com is running. At that price if I use it twice (as you say) it will more than pay for itself. I think what I will most likely do is use this for a year and then receiver mount it out back and get the Powerplant in front. That is a great setup.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

I just bought the Mile Marker Pec8, saw the review as well in Jp magazine. I have only used it once so far, but no complaints, worked great. They have been on sale in the $349.00 range.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default XRC8 problems

I thought it would be worth saving some $$$ on a XRC8.... boy was I wrong... It has been a month or phone calls between 4wd and Smitty and I now have a winch with two motors---one in peices. I would suggest anyone buy a different winch. If I cant find a motor shop to put all the pieces together i guess I have a new boat anchor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05127.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	28043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05130.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	28044  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chickenman
I thought it would be worth saving some $$$ on a XRC8.... boy was I wrong... It has been a month or phone calls between 4wd and Smitty and I now have a winch with two motors---one in peices. I would suggest anyone buy a different winch. If I cant find a motor shop to put all the pieces together i guess I have a new boat anchor
I have used mine once now and I will say that you definitely get what you pay for. Mine works and will do as a stop gap but I think I will replace it within a year. I can't complain at $250 but I can also understand the negative comments by others. This is not a winch I would want to be heavily reliant on. For the light duty I expect it to see over the next year the bang for the buck factor is there but if your budget allows you should buy a better setup. I hope that when Smitty releases their own air compressor model (XRC10HD) that the price of the Warn will come down due to competition.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bought me a MileMarker 9.5......Not bad at all for the price. I have had to use it once already. Reason I went with them was not only price, but I am in the military and used them numerous of times trying to get up mountains in Korea when snowed over. If the military uses them, why not...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REL1203
I dont use it often, but my Warn M8000 for $500 a few months back was one of the best things I baught.. The first trip on after I put it on, i needed it, and it worked perfectly... Dont go big if you dont think you will need it, just buy a quality brand and you will be fine
That was my thought. I paid about the same as you ($550 new) + the mount plate. Used it for the 1st time a year after installing. No issues. Used it again a few months later. Worked great again. BTW, both times were to pull OTHER stuck vehicles, no my Jeep.

Could it break? Sure. Has it been reliable so far, even though it goes a long time between uses?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Shop around for the best deal you can find on a Warn M8000. If there's anyway you can make the stretch financially, it's a winch you can count on years of use from as opposed to saving a few bucks up front and gambling on what you'll get for your money.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

I actually just took a quick look on Ebay and I see a new Warn M8000 with 100 ft of 3/8 cable and a roller fairlead, with free shipping, for $539. That's not a whole lot more then the "bargain" winches. A winch is one area where I'd say try and do things right the first time if at all possible rather then go cheap and plan to upgrade later.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chickenman
Just a thought, have you tried any local 4x4 shops or hoist/rigging companies? If they don't service electric winches in-house they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

4 wheel parts can service a winch.

Check our craigs list. I got my XD9000i used for $500.

Works like a champ. I inspected it first and tested it before buying and it didn't hiccup at all.

I've since had two pretty good pulls.

My previous winch was a warn xd9000 (non-integrated winch)

I'm of the opinion to get the most that you can afford and encourge people to look at least a 9,000 lbs winch.

Not everyone I wheel with is a "light weight" rig...not to mention, when you add armor, bumpers, gear, you can tip the scales pretty quick!

Quick Reply: Winch regrets?