Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch regrets?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
I too have the Warn 9.5ti and while it's spendy, I know 5 years from now it will work just as good as now.

You can't argue the fact that the Smittybilt's are a good value, but everyone I've seen has corrosion within the first year, and the solenoids seem to be flaky.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the Warn M8000. You can find them for under $600 out the door and they're great. Ran one for many years.

Wow thats quite an assumption We broke one on the second pull at work and warn told us sorry its over a year old nothing we can do
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything brand, new or used can let you down. In my opinion I would purchase the best you can afford. The last thing you want is your winch to fail you when you need it the most.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Superwinch LP here no issues yet im kind of glad I went cheap I never had to use for myself going on 4ths now
Old 07-18-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Superwinch LP here no issues yet im kind of glad I went cheap I never had to use for myself going on 4ths now
Thanks everybody.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

I dont use it often, but my Warn M8000 for $500 a few months back was one of the best things I baught.. The first trip on after I put it on, i needed it, and it worked perfectly... Dont go big if you dont think you will need it, just buy a quality brand and you will be fine
Old 07-19-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BryGuy
Everyone would have a Warn M8000 if we could buy them for that price.
Should have been around 6-12months ago... that was the most common price... There were even deals back then for $450 shipped.... Warn raised prices a few months ago sadly
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
I too have the Warn 9.5ti and while it's spendy, I know 5 years from now it will work just as good as now.

You can't argue the fact that the Smittybilt's are a good value, but everyone I've seen has corrosion within the first year, and the solenoids seem to be flaky.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the Warn M8000. You can find them for under $600 out the door and they're great. Ran one for many years.
As a Warn 9.5ti owner myself, I couldn't agree more with this post (on all points).
Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
Everything brand, new or used can let you down. In my opinion I would purchase the best you can afford. The last thing you want is your winch to fail you when you need it the most.
I've got the PowerPlant, and had to use it yesterday and it failed....
it was just clicking... came home hit the thing with a hammer and it works again...
Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

i have a cheap winch and i have probably killed it. it is never covered and has been under water countless times and yet it has never struggled to get the jeep unstuck and the way i look at it is if it does break spend some more money and get new things
Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

I like my Warn but there are many forum members having success with less expensive winches. My grandfather had a Warn for decades and it always worked. We I bought a JK it had to be a WARN. I occasionally regret I did buy the Power Plant instead of the XD 9000 but at the time I could not justify another $500+ to get the built in compressor.

Quick Reply: Winch regrets?