Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch question

Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one more to think about.

http://www.blackmountainsuspension.com/prod02.htm
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

I paid $550.00 for my Superwinch EPI 9.0. The one with the 125' cable. Was awesome and never let me down. Got it from Quadratec.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

How long have you had the Superwinch?

A couple notes. Several companies can get you in around $500. Ramsey, Mile marker, Superwinch, and TMax are not off-brands. They may not be the World leader (for whatever that's worth.), but they are decent brands. Permanent magnet motors would probably be fine , and they are cheaper and draw fewer amps than the heavier duty series wound motors. Drawing fewer amps is a point of concern if you want to stick with your stock battery and alternator.

Warns are great, but they also draw higher than just about anyone. Take a look at permanent magnet winches from Ramsey (Rep series), or Mile Marker (PE or MX series).

Superwinch Series Wound EP series claims to have a very low draw (about as low as Permanent magnet motors). Does anyone know how series wound compares to permanent magnet with respect to water resistance?

As far a mounts go, the cheapest winch plate I have seen for the stock bumper is the Warn for about $300. I looked into making one, but it would have cost me about $175+.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

X2 on the SuperWinch ePI9000, I have had mine for about 7 months. Most of the people that I wheel with are on 35's and locked, but most of them do not have winches. So, I am normally the recovery Jeep. It has never let me down or over heated.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

I'm going to use a Tabor 9K. It's put out by Warn, part of their "value line". It'll get you in for around $500. Smittybuilt has their new 9000lb winch out. I saw it in 4WD for $299.

Quick Reply: Winch question