Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch question

Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if i'll be much help, but im actually in the process of buying a winch too. One thing i know for sure is I'm going with Warn. I had settled on the M8000 which i know would suit my needs. But then I saw the new Zeon and now I'm debating on the zeon 10.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 12,500 lbs winch but I'll be the first to admit it is way more than I need. An 8000 has enough power to pull a JKU out. The one factor that comes into play however is how many wraps you have around the drum. Every wrap decreases torque 12% so by the time you get five wraps of line you are down to a 4100 pound winch. If you go to the Superwinch website they have a manual with all the math involved for different degrees and types of terrain and their affects on pulling. Most of the time you only need 25% or less of the stuck vehicle weight. If an 8000 can't get it unstuck you should probably be using a snatch strap anyway.

A snatch block will double your pull but cut line speed in half. You can use a synth line with a snatch block but don't use the same pulley on a steel cable.

I've been pulled up some serious rock cliffs by an 8000 Smittybuilt with no issues other than it is much slower than a higher priced winch. The drawback to line speed is not only time but heat in the motor if you are stressing its limits. You may need to stop the pull an cool off the winch. Still it should get you or your buddy unstuck.

The benefit of having a 12,500 lbs winch is I can do a long tough pull without taxing the motor and needing to stop and cool down and the difference was only like $70 so I saw no reason not to.

Last edited by keithvegas; 11-11-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone for you swift and detailed answers. I think I'll go with the Quadratec 9000lb winch. Seems to be a lower priced, middle of the road quality winch. Based of their chart, it is at least as good as the winches that cost 3-4 times more....heck, I'll use it 1-2 times per year.

Quick Reply: Winch question