Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Question

Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Question

Looking to get a winch soon. Wondering if synthetic is the way to go? Is it really much lighter? How does it wear over the years? What are good brands?

I've seen Viking for under $200 and Warn for $600. Do you get what you pay for? Or is Warn more expensive because of the name?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

I think the synethtic is 100% worth it. I think its about 20+/- lighter. so nothing crazy significant.
My winch weighs in at about 69 lbs installed. including fairlead.
its not uncommon to have winches weight 100 lbs.

the safety, and ease of use is completely worth it. if you take care of it, it will last. get a cover for it, and dont let it sit in direct sun for years and it will be fine

the viking lines are solid. its what came stock with my superwinch. I have never heard anything about the warn lines. It better be kick ass for $600
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With Warn, you definitely get what you pay for.

But, lots of people are going with lower priced alternatives and having very good luck with them. Just be sure to check the warranty policy before buying, so you aren't paying for a 'throw-away' winch.

My Warn 9.5 has been hanging off the front of my 4x4's for 11 years now and is still pulling strong. I can honestly say that I would not expect that kind of reliability from the low-cost, no-name alternatives out there. Just be honest with yourself regarding your budget and usage, and then make your decision.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

oh yeah, synth is totally the way to go. or, at least for me anyway. it's lighter, it's stronger, it floats and if it were to break, it'll just drop to the ground thus, making it a lot safer

i run a viking with a safety thimble and have used it extensively over the last 3 years
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can spring for it, get a synthetic line. I just got my Superwinch LP10000 and will be ordering a synthetic line next month. I used to have one on a four wheeler I used to have. It is safe, and mine floated, which was pretty darned handy!

As for brands, stay with a name brand of your choice. I am a believer in "you get what you pay for", but each of us have a dollar amount we wish to spend. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just found this- Recon 10,500
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...e-own-Comments

Looks like a killer deal from the price
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Isn't Viking line just AMSteel Blue line with a couple of add on's or is it a totally different line?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

I am planning on throwing an XRC 8 and probly running a synth line on my 2 Door JK. 34's and a 2.5 lift. Will that 8 be good? I think my jeep weights around 4500?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This quote from the "Winches In Hell" article pretty much sums it up.

Be it effective marketing, brand recognition, reputation, or simply propaganda, all testers involved had an expectation that the sun will rise in the East and the Warn will accomplish the pull. While the other winches were being watched closely to see if they would finish, the Warn’s ability to finish a pull was never doubted. In fact, it only received an occasional glance to see when it was done. This peace of mind alone may be worth the premium price to some readers.

The article isn't all inclusive, but is some good reading, and seems fairly un-biased given the number of different people that were there reviewing the winches...
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafi
I think the synethtic is 100% worth it. I think its about 20+/- lighter. so nothing crazy significant....
I think synth cable is more than 20% lighter than equivalent steel. Regardless, I did measure my steel winch cable and roller fairlead, and my synthetic cable and Hawser--30 pounds saved. That's pretty noteworthy on the front bumper. Some folks prefer to run a roller fairlead with the synth--just make sure you have undamaged rollers to avoid damaging the cable.

Quick Reply: Winch Question