Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch mounts

Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winch mounts

I'm finishing up my home-made bumper and can't exactly decide how to make my winch mount. It will be "sunk" between the frame rails, and I though I was gonna make it from 6" c-channel. After drilling the bolt pattern, I'm afraid that after clearancing the "lip" of the c-channel, there may not be enough material left for strength. Maybe 1/4" to 3/8", I don't remember. This may be enough, but I'd like to be sure.

Anybody have any pics of they're winch mounts, either home-fabbed or aftermarket? Also, how are they attached to the frame? I plan to bolt mine through the bottom of the frame, using the holes in the front plate of the frame to insert a nut and wrench to hold it. Any better ideas?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind. I clearanced out for the bolt heads and there's plenty of material left. About 5/8".
Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not to buy one of those winch mounting plates made by many winch makers. Mine cost only around 90 dollars and it does fit just right over frame rails at front. I bolted this one on top of front rails just to keep it little higher out of water during river crossings.
When i am back at home late today or early tomorrow i will try to have some pictures of this set up.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

What no photos?? Mine will go front or back.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

I believe he is going to frop the winch own between the frame. As far as i know there aren't any aftermarket out that do that. Shrockworks i suppose, but i don't know if you can just order the mount.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Now you will see pictures on MY-JK site...search: "wgr" and you will have em.
Actually it´s not fully ready yet, didn´t have the time but am working with it.
Anyway it works, been twice stuck in deep mud and it was handy to take it out, tighten bolts, connect to battery and suck rope in. Up came with 12500 lbs pulling power.

Last edited by wgr; 10-19-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: winch mounts