Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch lube

Old 11-16-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch lube

No, I'm not taking about Chicxulub.

Received a new winch motor to replace the one that failed under warranty. The new motor end doesn't have any grease on it where the winch drum rides on the sleeve bearing surface.
(see picture)

What type of grease is best for the sleeve bearings on winches?

If you have any other good advice on winches, I'm trying to start a collection in the Write-ups section:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...topics-290389/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131116_110655_431.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	511556  
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much research on other sites I decided to go with a moly-lithium EP (extreme pressure) grease. It uses a waterproof lithium - mineral oil base. NLGI Grade 1.5. Drop Point 350 Degree F minimum.

I used this grease only on the gears (in clutch/gear box) and journal (drum) bearings outside of the motor. Do not use grease inside the motor where it can coat the brushes and contacts causing the motor to fail. I only used dielectric silicon grease inside the motor. A thin coating on the outside of the bearing races will make the next disassembly easier.

Remember: Any time you switch from one grease to another you need to completely remove the old grease. Otherwise, you risk compatibility issues causing the grease to degrade prematurely.

Grease compatibility chart:
Lubricants USA - Grease Compatibility Chart

Quick Reply: Winch lube