Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch help please

Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch help please

Hey guys,

I have a smittybilt xrc8 winch which I got last summer and it worked fine then. Over the winter months I covered it up and did not use it. Today I decided to uncover it and check to see if everything was working and what not. I plugged in the remote and turned the clutch to engage and hit the in and out button and neither worked. The light on the controller lit up though. So.... I decided to check to make sure all the cables were getting power. Took apart the box and checked all those connections and they were fine, checked all the connections on the winch and they were fine. All had a current as well when I checked.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe something with the clutch or am I just missing something? I'm new to winches and have only used mine once since I've had it.

Thanks,
Dom
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen to my Warn. Problem was a corroded thermal switch. Not sure if that model has a similar item, but just tossing out an idea.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

the Smitty winches require you to plug in the remote and twist it 1/4 turn to lock into place. If you have already done that, i would suggest the same as the above poster and make sure your contacts aren't corroded. good luck!

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-30-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: blacklisted
Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for both your responses. When I first bought it I admit I didn't get the twist it part at first lol, but now I know. Contacts look alright, not sure what a thermal switch is? Anyone care to explain?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Contact Smittybilt. They have great customer service and can tech support over the phone. The winch also has a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the exterior connections tight?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might sound dumb, but are you sure you had the remote plugged in right. It's very easy to plug it in upside down. I've done it. All the lights lit up, but nothing worked.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exterior connections are tight and everything is hooked up correctly. Pretty sure I had everything in the correct way but maybe I put it in wrong, I'll try again tomorrow just to make sure. I'll probably give smittybilt a call tomorrow if nothing else works. Thanks again guys for all the replies.

Dom
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Ya, you know I put the remote in the wrong way once before too. I would check that first. My XRC 10 has been great for like the last couple of years.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried again today, put the remote in the other way and nothing. Had it right the first time. When I put it in and hit either button this time I heard a little clicking it sounded like but after I hit the button about 4 times it went away. Light still lights up green and red. I'll have to give them a call. Been very busy though and haven't had time.

Quick Reply: Winch help please