Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Help

Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ludski
...is synthetic better than the steel cable?
Here is a thread I start about that same question: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...or-steel-cable

WOL's response sealed the deal for me on synthetic, but the full list of pros and cons is well worth your time.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

whitehorn did that happen to fix your issue with the winch?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by B09RUBI
whitehorn did that happen to fix your issue with the winch?
Sorry, I just got back inside.

YES

Thank you guys SOOO much. I feel like an idiot now, it was so obvious in retrospect.

I was able to spool my line, and the winch is now completely setup.

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

No Problem I only new cause i did the same thing when i installed mine!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed..I did the same thing, felt like a total dumb a**.

I would recommend this winch. I have had mine underwater...and have used the crap out of it over the last two years. It is very good quality for the $$.

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn

YES

Thank you guys SOOO much. I feel like an idiot now, it was so obvious in retrospect.

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

So, I just got my brand new bumper and brand new Smittybilt XRC-10 winch installed, and when I went to go spool up my line I noticed the winch won't come on.

I am not sure whats wrong, other than maybe the winch is defective

I've double checked all the wiring (although I haven't take a multi-meter to it yet). But, when I put the remote into the solenoid, and push the little red buttons, nothing happens.

I notice that the remote sits loosely in the solenoid. Basically one, without any force can plug or unplug the remote. Is the remote supposed to be this loose? It feels like it could just fall out

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Smittybilt's offices are closed, so I obviously can't call them at the moment. Before assuming it's a defective product I wanted to double check that I was doing everything the way I was supposed to, but Smitty's instructions leave a LOT to the imagination.
It might be the cheap @$$ controller, it did this to me. If all else fails, take the controller apart and flip the top and bottom wire. That should allow it to roll in and not out. If you plan on keep it, I would get a spare controller, or get really familiar with how the switch works. I went to an auto parts store and put a replacement switch on it and kept it as a spare, then I got a Superwinch. (Zero Failures with the Superwinch)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Jedi

YES

Thanks again.
they need better instructions good thing you didn't have to take the bumper back off to get the winch out
Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

I put mine on last weekend and thought I had the same problem. If you look at the connector, it has tapered notches that twist into the selenoid receptical. It takes a little bit of force the first time you put it in. Make sure you pull back the silver clip when twisting the connector.

Quick Reply: Winch Help