Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch for Hartop Hoist

Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I personally think an electric winch is overkill as the manual brake winch hoists even the 4 door hardtop to the ceiling with little effort and I agree that I think there is more control. The brake winch I mentioned in my write-up has a 4:1 gear ratio and with the use of the pulleys it makes the hoisting very easy. Just my

im just concerned about lifting the top approx 5ft with a manual winch...I have to do this because I am not storing the hard top in the hanging position, so when Im putting it back on the jeep I am lifting from the ground...

I picked up a 2000lb winch from HF today so Ill plug it in and see how controlled it is, if it is not easily controlled I may return it for the manual winch...it was only $45 and the manual winch is $30 so its not a big price difference
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmat1980
I am going to build the hartop hoist that is in the write up herehttp://https://www.jk-forum.com/foru...ead.php?t=5559 up here

I was thinking of using a automatic winch as opposed to the hand winch in the write up and I have 1 question:

All the winches say not for overhead lifting, I am wondering if I can use the winch (as shown in the pic below...sorry no photo shop). I will then run the cable under a pully hanging on the corner, then over another pully in the middle of the hard top and down to the hoist bar...

What do you guys think??

Any better suggestions?

Edit: I am only going to lift the top about 3 inches then lower it to a cart...I know there is not alot of clearance

don't lift too much with that winch (and I mean height wise...)

it almost looks like you'll break that light bulb.

Is there enough room to build the lift rack, and add the winch? that ceiling looks low over the jeep.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a harbor freight winch (220#) for $50 on sale. I build a wooden hoist system to lift the top. Total cost under $75.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
don't lift too much with that winch (and I mean height wise...)

it almost looks like you'll break that light bulb.

Is there enough room to build the lift rack, and add the winch? that ceiling looks low over the jeep.
Well, the bulb will come out and the lift rack is not that big...the winch will be o n the side there, around some pullys...ill post up some pix when this thing is done...hopefully the top will still be in one piece

Quick Reply: Winch for Hartop Hoist