Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch for Hartop Hoist

Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
This is the one I use. I managed to get it on sale at the time for just over 65 bucks, but 80 bucks isn't bad and it'll definitely do the job if you want an electric one.
http://www. harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40765

Edit:
And to answer your question about raising the top 5 feet using the manual winch, it's a PITA. It's not real hard, but each rotation of the crank moves the winch about 1/4 inch it seems. Plus with the electric winch, you can stand right beside it, hold the remote in one hand and make sure the top doesn't rock back and forth and is lined up just right. Worth every penny.
Cool thanx...I guess I wont be using a manual winch

The problem with the one you are using is that I would have to mount it directly above the jeep and I have very little clearance up there...thats why I wanted a reg. elec. winch to mount on the side of the bulk head, then run the cable down, under a pully, then straight over another pully and down to the Jeep...

Anyone else using an elec. winch as opposed to a manual winch or a hoist?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmat1980
I am going to build the hartop hoist that is in the write up herehttp://https://www.jk-forum.com/foru...ead.php?t=5559 up here

I was thinking of using a automatic winch as opposed to the hand winch in the write up and I have 1 question:

All the winches say not for overhead lifting, I am wondering if I can use the winch (as shown in the pic below...sorry no photo shop). I will then run the cable under a pully hanging on the corner, then over another pully in the middle of the hard top and down to the hoist bar...

What do you guys think??

Any better suggestions?

Edit: I am only going to lift the top about 3 inches then lower it to a cart...I know there is not alot of clearance

I also built this winch set up. For the amount of times that I've taken the hard top off (ONCE!) the manual winch has been fine. Really thinking about just getting rid of the hard top. OK I'll stir things up here ...... but a real jeep only has a soft top right?? What do I need that damn hardtop hanging in my garage for anyway?

Ok I do live in VA, and it is not MA or MN, but hell it's not that cold and do hard tops really help that much?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like simple:

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=2278

This is a Harken Hoister. I back the JK in, attach hooks in front mounting holes and a strap under the rear, place the removable pieces on top and hoist it up. It is secure and easy to install and use.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone else have any idea if a regular electic winch will work??

I dont want to use something like the harken hoist because im only lifting it a few inches, then lowering to a cart....no clearance to keep it hanging...

Ill be taking the hardtop off every spring/summer so it will help having some type of hoist...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

a regular electric winch will work fine as long as it has a brake ( most do). See the link in my signature.

I mounted mine on a rail, but you can wall mount it with proper pulley mounts. I use a starter/charger to power mine.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by YellowToy
a regular electric winch will work fine as long as it has a brake ( most do). See the link in my signature.

I mounted mine on a rail, but you can wall mount it with proper pulley mounts. I use a starter/charger to power mine.
Cool...you mind posting some pics of your set up??

Thanx

EDIT:
Disregard, I saw them in your gallery...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I built an electric hoist myself somewhat similar to the one you are referring to. I would actually recommend the manual hoist. You have more tactile control on the raising and lowering.

The Chicago Electric 440lb hoist I got is actually a little too fast even just tapping the button. Let's say you do just tap it to fine tune the height you also have to contend with the jerking and jostling the sudden abrupt jog the motor caused.

Maybe its because I went a little overkill on the hoist and if you got the smaller hoist it would be better matched to the weight but also how often do you really plan on taking the top on and off?

I ended up selling my hard top anyways being in the increasingly tame winters in Northern Virginia.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought one of the premanufactured hoists, but I now know I could have built the same thing a lot cheaper. The electric winch they use is the same as the harbor freight one mentioned, but I usually lift mine up to the ceiling and then set it down on a set of 2x4's suspended from the ceiling by straps. This way it doesn't spin around like it did when suspended by a single mount point in the center of the hardtop.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

I added a pulley to slow down th winch speed. It works great now.

I can take the top off in about the same time it would to put down the soft top.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

I personally think an electric winch is overkill as the manual brake winch hoists even the 4 door hardtop to the ceiling with little effort and I agree that I think there is more control. The brake winch I mentioned in my write-up has a 4:1 gear ratio and with the use of the pulleys it makes the hoisting very easy. Just my

Quick Reply: Winch for Hartop Hoist