Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch for Hartop Hoist

Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch for Hartop Hoist

I am going to build the hartop hoist that is in the write up herehttp://https://www.jk-forum.com/foru...ead.php?t=5559 up here

I was thinking of using a automatic winch as opposed to the hand winch in the write up and I have 1 question:

All the winches say not for overhead lifting, I am wondering if I can use the winch (as shown in the pic below...sorry no photo shop). I will then run the cable under a pully hanging on the corner, then over another pully in the middle of the hard top and down to the hoist bar...

What do you guys think??

Any better suggestions?

Edit: I am only going to lift the top about 3 inches then lower it to a cart...I know there is not alot of clearance
Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats exactly like i did mine. i bought the winch from northern tool around $140.
it was rated for 220lbs but it wouldnt lift the top and my home made t-lift. i had to use the double line(440lbs) to make it work.

h t t p://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_120327_120327

Last edited by 2kTiM5; 01-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool, im guessing you had no problems using the winch to hoist the top (as opposed to a hoist)...

How did you attatch the pully to the ceiling? Any pics?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

i used lag screw eye bolts into the studs. i ll get some pics shortly(updated}.

Last edited by 2kTiM5; 01-17-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool, thanks!!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

I also built the hoist in the write up.

I would suggest you need a lot of contol when raising/lowering the top off of the steel rail on the jeep to avoid scratching the paint and lower the left/rear/right edges carefully to get good alignement. The alignment/balance varies every time you back the jeep up under the contraption - no matter how well you try to center it.

With the northern tool brake winch (approx 70usd i think) suggested in the write up the resolution of handle turns to actul vertical lift is very "fine" - and stops/starts immediately according to what you do with the handle. My guess is that an electric winch would not respond so accurately and have a tendncy to run-on (not stop immediately) - this is speculation on my part.

I also feel you get a lot of feedback through the winch handle as to whether anything is going wrong or stuck (e.g. I forgot to detach wiring harness one time and noticed it through increased force).

My 2c hope it helps your decision.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got a mechanical winch(non-electric), I removed the handle from the winch and then used a socket on my cordless drill to crank. Way faster, but I went a few feet up not 3 inches.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

My problem with using a manual winch is that I have to mount it on the ceiling (as shown in the pic) because directly behind the Jeep is a door, so therefore I cannot mount the winch on the wall like the original plan shows. If I get a manual winch and mount it to the ceiling the handle will hit the wall/ceiling as it turns, so that wont work...

My only other option that I can see is an electric winch...or this (see below) because of the way the handle turns...the problem with the manual winch is this..How hard will it be to raise the top about 5 feet using a manual winch when I am replacing the top??

Does anyone use an electric winch w a hoist? How controlled is the movement?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Also, the manual winch I pictured above does not say brake winch, the description is 2000lb Gear Winch...is this the same thing??

This is the link to the winch
harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5798
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

This is the one I use. I managed to get it on sale at the time for just over 65 bucks, but 80 bucks isn't bad and it'll definitely do the job if you want an electric one.
http://www. harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40765

Edit:
And to answer your question about raising the top 5 feet using the manual winch, it's a PITA. It's not real hard, but each rotation of the crank moves the winch about 1/4 inch it seems. Plus with the electric winch, you can stand right beside it, hold the remote in one hand and make sure the top doesn't rock back and forth and is lined up just right. Worth every penny.

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 01-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Winch for Hartop Hoist