Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which winch?
Rugged Ridge HD 8500 lb $350
4.17%
Smittybilt XRC8 - $285
29.17%
Smittybilt XRC8 Comp Series - $450
25.00%
Ramsey Rep 8.5e - $399
14.58%
Superwinch LP8500 - $399
28.13%
Gorilla/Promark Offroad Silverback HD 8000 - $389
3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Winch decision

Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really happy with my Smittybuilt XRC. Does not engage at times not. Less then a year old.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joneszj
Ok, So I don't necessarily want to start a whole new thread, but I need a little more help. There is a buttload of winches available that will work and I have no idea what the differences are in some of them.

1. Looking now more towards the Superwinch EPi9.0, but why is the LP 8500 such crap? as one guy stated above...

2. Anyone know about the Tabor 9000 winch? It is made by Warn, comes with Warn parts, and after reading the Jp Magazine article, seemed to function just like a Warn, but its only $500. What gives?

3. Anyone know anything at all about Black Mountain Winches? This winch also held up well in the Jp article, but at $330 for an 8000 lb winch with the solenoid attached, it seems too good to be true. Any help?

I have read the Moab Jeeper article. I get it. Warn is the best. Can't afford a Warn. They also liked the Superwinch EPi9,0, but with how bad the LP8500 supposedly is, how can I trust the EPi9.0 is so great? And I am not really sold on the Chicago Electric winch, I get that it's cheap and it held up ok to the MoabJeeper test, but I can't get over how it looks, and that it just barely survived. I don't usually get involved in long winch-pulls, I just want something that can pull me out when I get stuck and is reliable.
Saw you mentioned you like the Warn powerplant. Get a Hi-lift jack($80), couple of logging chains($50), long strong tow strap, and a couple of D rings and save up for the bigger winch and a bumper. You'll be happy and the hi-lift will get you out of anything a winch will. Yes lots slower but less than 1/2 the price. Then you'll have a hi-lift and a winch someday.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

check out Titan Winches. Ducan Robinson works with one of the main manufacturers of winches off shore to build a VERY nice unit which has far surpassed my hard usage. I actually replaced my Warn with this on a whim and haven't looked back. Very nice, and Duncan stands behind his product. Can't post a link, but google Titan Winch.

I have the 12K model with Synthetic line and the wireless package. It gets used alot and has good speed, excellent strength at 2+ wraps, and great customer service.

my .02 If you don't want to spend the right $$ to get the top line warn, the titan's are built mightly close and at a better cost point. The mid-low lines of MM, Warn, "others" are a far cry from how much Duncan has put in his spec line. Yes they are from China, he won't hide that, but he helped put this spec package together in china, visits the factory regulary, and test/tears everything apart to compare. check out his website. loyal customer here.

one bad thing about Duncan.....he is a "Landy" guy...but don't hold that against him.

lots of reviews by the landy lovers of his stuff.

BMW
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dangerranger
check out Titan Winches. Ducan Robinson works with one of the main manufacturers of winches off shore to build a VERY nice unit which has far surpassed my hard usage. I actually replaced my Warn with this on a whim and haven't looked back. Very nice, and Duncan stands behind his product. Can't post a link, but google Titan Winch.

I have the 12K model with Synthetic line and the wireless package. It gets used alot and has good speed, excellent strength at 2+ wraps, and great customer service.

my .02 If you don't want to spend the right $$ to get the top line warn, the titan's are built mightly close and at a better cost point. The mid-low lines of MM, Warn, "others" are a far cry from how much Duncan has put in his spec line. Yes they are from China, he won't hide that, but he helped put this spec package together in china, visits the factory regulary, and test/tears everything apart to compare. check out his website. loyal customer here.

one bad thing about Duncan.....he is a "Landy" guy...but don't hold that against him.

lots of reviews by the landy lovers of his stuff.

BMW
Great info....I actually stumbled across these winches today while looking around online. These don't look the prettiest, but they seem to have a lot of great customer reviews. I see they are now including the solenoids attached to the foot castings, which could cause some issues...have you had any problems??? Was the synth line worth the extra cash? It seems like a huge bump in price....like $460 vs. $780. Worth it?

by the way...everyone seems to be making this decision even harder
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had my XRC for about a year. I have used it several times (20+... and yes I off road quite a bit) for myself and others. I used it this last hunting trip when I pulled a Chevy 2500 upto his frame in mud. I pulled about 30 ft without a problem. I have a lifetime warrenty and could not be happier with my purchase.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Mile Marker PE8000 any good?
It's at Costco for like $380, everywhere else online, its kind of ridiculous-priced...$500 and up...
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

I pulled a county plow onto the highway in CO last winter during a trip out there. Had to pull my JK in to the ditch across the street, block it, and used 2 pulley blocks to set it up. worked great, they guy was just scratching his head as he couldn't believe it. Tripped the stall brake with single pully, so I know the truck had some serious weight. Synthetic line is worth its weight in gold. No worries of failures causing injury, you can actually throw the hook to someone in need without having to drag it, and saves about 90lbs on the front end. I have 140' on mine and it comes in handy. Only thing is to have a protective sleeve, or a way to keep it from dragging across sharp objects. But even cable shouldn't be used this way.

BMW
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

btw, titan's prices are canadian...US $ is much cheaper.

BMW
Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default How about a Mile Marker...

I got an 8000lb Mile Marker for around four hundred and Rough Country has a winch plate for mounting to the factory bumper that would fill the gap nicely.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

x2.
IMHO Mile Markers are great, and not outrageously priced either.

I got mine at winchdepot dot com.
They ship for free, and have most Mile Markers on sale right now.

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-03-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Winch decision