Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Deals

Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased a T max 9k for 499.00, no issues
Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have tried 4 winches in my offroad rigs..Mile-Marker, Tabor 9th by Warn, Tmax 9500, and Warn 8th...I used the Mile-Marker for a year until it conke dout on me..It has slow speed and not that durable...Tmax have a fast line speed but the finish rusts and I have used a Tmax winch on other rigs that overheated on extreme winching..Personally, the Warn is the best! If you are on a budget go for the Tabor! Decent line-speed and very durable..Been using mine for more than 2 years...It is a Warn and cost $400..Warn made the Tabor line to compete with the cheaper China-made winches which I mentioned earlier.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samc
Opinions are like a$$holes; we've all got one. For everybody who'll tell you how bad the Harbor Freight/Smitty Built/MileMarker Chinese-made winches are, you'll find somebody who has one and is fine with it, although they're less likely to boast about it. You can spend as low as $300 on an 8000 lb Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight or the equivalent from Champion (and the HF one is solidly built, not junk at all), or well over $1000 on a Warn. The Warn is more nicely finished, more carefully built and inspected, and worth the money if you have it, and need it badly enough. The $300 winch will certainly pull you out of the ditch just as well, but without the bragging rights; and it might wear out a bit sooner.

I've had both at various times. If money were no object, I'd get the Warn. If I needed it on a regular basis, I'd get the Warn. Neither one of these being the case, I have the Harbor Freight, and I'm just fine with it.
I think you hit the nail on the head and slammed it slap through the 2X4 with this. It all depends on how hard you wheel your rig, how often you get into winch sitiations, and how much money you have to throw at it. For those who knock the chinkeese stuff...think about this: one just might pull you out of a mudhole one day.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brestman
I have tried 4 winches in my offroad rigs..Mile-Marker, Tabor 9th by Warn, Tmax 9500, and Warn 8th...I used the Mile-Marker for a year until it conke dout on me..It has slow speed and not that durable...Tmax have a fast line speed but the finish rusts and I have used a Tmax winch on other rigs that overheated on extreme winching..Personally, the Warn is the best! If you are on a budget go for the Tabor! Decent line-speed and very durable..Been using mine for more than 2 years...It is a Warn and cost $400..Warn made the Tabor line to compete with the cheaper China-made winches which I mentioned earlier.
Buy American, they are a better, more reliable product, and it helps keep Americans employed instead of the Chicoms...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samc
Opinions are like a$$holes; we've all got one. For everybody who'll tell you how bad the Harbor Freight/Smitty Built/MileMarker Chinese-made winches are, you'll find somebody who has one and is fine with it, although they're less likely to boast about it. You can spend as low as $300 on an 8000 lb Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight or the equivalent from Champion (and the HF one is solidly built, not junk at all), or well over $1000 on a Warn. The Warn is more nicely finished, more carefully built and inspected, and worth the money if you have it, and need it badly enough. The $300 winch will certainly pull you out of the ditch just as well, but without the bragging rights; and it might wear out a bit sooner.

I've had both at various times. If money were no object, I'd get the Warn. If I needed it on a regular basis, I'd get the Warn. Neither one of these being the case, I have the Harbor Freight, and I'm just fine with it.
Agreed!
If you aren't intending to swing from cliffs and be pulling a convoy of folks up waterfalls and so on then there are many inexpensive options.
I have one and have used it and it was just fine.
Mine is one I bought at Desert Rat that is chineese made.
But they get rewired here in Arizona and so the electrical side is a lot better.

If your usage is basically intended to be NEVER except when needed due to bad judgement (this happens to Jeeepers a lot for some reason then just remember that most needed pulls are for short distances and if you can run thru a puller or D-Link then even a small one will work for that.

More important than the make etc. is that you understand due to the nature of gearing in a winch it has more power when unwound down to near the last wind on the drum. As you wind in it will lose power.

One other note worth thinking of. The standard cable that comes with your winch is difficult to use and dangerous even as it stores energy and acts like a spring. If it ever should break it will whip back and take your face off. So make sure you can remote your rigg from inside the cab and even better switch out the cable for something like the Amsteel Blue or other similar synthetic rope.
Those ropes do not store energy. They will initially streatch a bit and thats it.
If they break they just fall to the ground.
Also due to they do NOT get wire frays in them they are a lot more user freindly to handle.
The steel cable always fray and will stab you nicely. And they are a pain on the rewind when repacking the winch for travel.

I run 5/16 synthetic rope and it has handled my 2dr on farely steep uphill hull down pulls getting me off and out.
I also have a 3/8 100ft extention rope for long reaches. In Arizona long reaches is the norm.

I also chose to go with a "portable rig. It plugs into a 2" reciever in either the fron or the back. I did this due to the nature of many of the trails around here is such that there isn't room for one Jeep let a lone 2 and no turn outs and very limited ancor point choices in many case. Sometimes NO ancor points even which is typically dont in the desert floor.

This has proven itself to be a wise choice for me and I think should be more often thought of .

Being able to reach backward to winch is a good thing at times.
Also I keep the winch inside nice and clean and dry untill needed.
That aspect of things helped me feel better about buying a cheaper winch too.

Good luck to you and have fun and make it home!

Quick Reply: Winch Deals