Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch choices

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch choices

I have normally purchased Warn for all my winch needs in the past. I have noticed latelly that many of you have been purchasing other OEM's winches, and would like your opinion on what you have found from the other manufacturers. Warn keeps there price so darn high, and I want rope not cable. The last Warn I bought I had to take it with cable and then replace with the rope, which was a pain in the butt and pricey as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by largo
I have normally purchased Warn for all my winch needs in the past. I have noticed latelly that many of you have been purchasing other OEM's winches, and would like your opinion on what you have found from the other manufacturers. Warn keeps there price so darn high, and I want rope not cable. The last Warn I bought I had to take it with cable and then replace with the rope, which was a pain in the butt and pricey as well.
I'm in the same boat. I've been eyeing the Superwinch EPi9.0S - 9,000 lbs/12V. This winch seems to get good reviews and comes with Synthetic rope for a good price.

Edit... Just ordered this from Amazon for 713.00... Killer deal.

Last edited by mjm; 11-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a Smittybilt xrc8 on mine. The one I have is considered a first gen. I replaced the crappy wire cable with Amsteel blue. For me the Smittybilt was the perfect winch at the time. Cheap! I've run it for 4 years now? and it's still works as expected. The fit and finish on them leaves something to be desired, as all the bolts rusted, stickers all peeled off and the paint is faded. It is very slow but I'm ok with that cause I'm never really in a hurry. Bought the winch for $299.00 and the rope for $189.00.
Things I've done to mine:
1. replace crappy cable with synthetic.
2. replaced all the rusty bolts with stainless steel ones.
3. cleaned out stock grease and relubed it with a synthetic marine grease.

Smittybilt cons:
1. Slow
2. Stock cable sucked.
3. fit and finish is a little lame.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
as you have eluded to, many people have been getting other brands but only because of price. warn still makes a fine product and their customer service is outstanding. i am running a mile marker on my orange jk and so far, it's worked out well too.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a Warn winch, but at a better price, the M8000 with roller fairlead is $539 at several vendors. I got one for $518. It is a low profile reliable winch that has reasonable speed.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you want the best, the Warn 8274-50 is the one you want. Bulletproof, fast, long line length, rebuildable, and lasts forever. It is pricey though.

Flash
Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

This is a little old, but it's a good review of the top brands.
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I've seen a mile marker in action, (it was really old one), and it worked great with no problems. The new ones look great too.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Titan for me. Great service, has never failed me and the price was unbeatable.

Duncan's a good guy.

Jamie

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Default Superwinch EPi9.0S

Originally Posted by mjm
I'm in the same boat. I've been eyeing the Superwinch EPi9.0S - 9,000 lbs/12V. This winch seems to get good reviews and comes with Synthetic rope for a good price.
Have had zero issues with my two year old EPi9.0S, and as mjm stated, it comes with synthetic already on the spool. A number of times now at different places while performing a recovery, I've heard the following either from those involved or just bystanding, "Wow!! That winch is fast." I know I've seen slower, but ultimately what counts is that regardless of which brand you buy, the winch reliably extracts you from whatever predicament where you find its services are required.

Originally Posted by mjm
Edit... Just ordered this from Amazon for 713.00... Killer deal.
Congrats - that is a screaming deal!!!

Quick Reply: Winch choices