Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch choice questions

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch choice questions

I am considering a winch for my Rubi. The two things I am tossing around are the Warn M-8000 which can be had fairly reasonably, or the 9.0Rc, which is 2x as much. I know most of you think I am on crack to have these 2 under consideration since they are such different animals, but here's my logic:

The M-8000 is a proven workhorse and a decent value ($530). This will serve my needs nicely. The thing I really don't like, is the idea of dropping 80# on the front of the Rubi getting the nose closer to the ground.

This leads me to the second choice the 9.0Rc. I know this is a Rock Crawling winch, but it is 25# less weight, smaller overall (I don't need the looks of a big honking winch sticking out) and the synthetic rope is a plus. But this one is pricey ($1200).

They both seem to have the same HP rating and ratio, although the capicty is different.

Most wiching I have been around has been a matter of several feet, I have never seen a 50' pull.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i have not bought a winch yet myself but i would have to suggest and have read the benifits of replaceing the wire with the synthetic line. you generally save that much weight and for a lot of price difference. so get the 8000 and put some synthetic line on there and you will easily save that much of everything.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

You may also want to consider the Tabor 9k. It's a 9000lb winch, less $$ than the M-8000, and it's made by Warn. With some synthetic line on that you'd be set!

Quick Reply: Winch choice questions