Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch bumper

Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Winch bumper

I'm about to put my old Ramsey 9000 winch on my jk, I'm looking at bumpers that have a low winch mount, between frame horns, and still have mounting holes for the factory fog lights, I don't really care if it's full width, mid or stubby, but kinda thinking mid.
Not really looking for anything fancy, actually I'm on a budget, wanting to keep it below 500, but may not be able to do that and still have one that will hold up.
what are some brands to stay away from?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Not as popular as most, however, the Rugged Ridge XHD mounts the winch between the frame and keeps the radiator clear of obstruction. I'm still running my XHD and have had no problems with it. EDIT - I should have said I've been running this bumper for 8 years without issue.

Last edited by jedg; 06-01-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I’ve had a metalcloak front bumper for about a year now and I really like it. The winch sits low and in between the frame. The bumper is about as low profile as you can get. I don’t remember the price off the top of my head but I think it may be a little above $500.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Not as popular as most, however, the Rugged Ridge XHD mounts the winch between the frame and keeps the radiator clear of obstruction. I'm still running my XHD and have had no problems with it. EDIT - I should have said I've been running this bumper for 8 years without issue.
I've been running this bumper since early 2008 (with my 20 year old warn 9500lb winch). I like that it is modular and you have a choice of configuring it any way you want : stubby / mid-width / full-width / stinger / hoop. Looking at the website, it doesn't appear that there have been any big changes to it since I bought, but I haven't actually been following reviews on it.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had the same XHD bumper and it's a little beast. I sold it to a guy who stuck a 12k lb winch in it. I don't know the prices, but genright may have one that fits your criteria. The fog lights are the one feature I wish I had retained when going to a newer bumper.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm using the RR XHD as well. Been ~10 years now, powder-coating still looks OK. Has fog lamp holes, and the winch fairlead sits slightly below the bottom of the grille.

Quick Reply: Winch bumper