Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Advice

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Advice

Ok, before I get started I want to openly tell everyone that my JK is 2wd , but I love it. It is my first jeep and I fell into a good deal. I don't think I will ever get into rock crawling or mud holes, but I do like to go camping and on the back roads...originally from West Virginia and I take it home often.

Having said that, I do like to play and get it muddy. I am thinking of getting a winch to save my arse when I do get out of my league. I know Warn is the standard favorite, but they are also hard on the pockets. Can anyone recommend a brand that is good price and good product?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With winches you get the quality you pay for. Warn is an exceptional brand with good customer sense. If they are just to much for you look into SuperWinch, same reliability and sligtly less on the pocket book (they have numerous sales) I picked up my EPI9.0 for about 600 and it has worked flawlessly.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used Warn. I bought an xd9000i for $450 that had literally been used once to pull a car onto a trailer. Craigslist can be your friend.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A winch for a 2WD is certainly not a stupid idea, despite what others might say. Since it may have a better chance at getting stuck, it makes perfect sense. I have a Warn M8000 on mine and like it a lot. I got it when winch depot was runnin a killer sale last year. It was 499 and 9.99 shipping. You're likely not to see that again, but you can still find them pretty reasonable. There are other brands, but Warn is what I have. I am familiar with it and it works.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Craigslist, Ebay, pawn shops, and local re-sell papers are always a good place to check for a deal. Quite a few of us have the cheaper Smittybilt XRC8's...they run about $300, and mine has now been used 10~15 times without fail. If I ran into situations where I was using a winch constantly, I would re-think my choice of brands for added security.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Hey I just thought i'd say i picked up an M8000 Warn Winch for 500 Overstock at 4wd.com It was Great. I get their Great Unit at a Great Price. Look around. Why buy used for more than u can New? over 100$ too they do free shipping.. I'll look around for you.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Warn is a great winch. I was going to take advantage of the same deal as Redneck until I ran across a barely used 9.5ti.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

smitybuilt$300.00 i had one problem with mine nothing that kept it from working though and customer service was great!!!!they had my new part to me in like 2-3 days!!!!

Quick Reply: Winch Advice