Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which winch?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the xrc10?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you what to get, but I can tel you what to stay away from. I got sold on the Warn/Tabor concept... I don't care how big of a name they are, my Tabor9K winch has been overhauled twice in less than a year for rusting out internally. The 3rd set of planetary gears just went in it. It supposedly has a bad o-ring design and water get in. I'm one of many that have had this issue.

...and while we're talking about Warn... My Warn bumper is a year old a looks 100. Its flaking all over and rusting everywhere its the paint fell off. It hasn't been hit, its just bad adhesion. Warn says its an off-road bumper and that's normal.
I'd shop for anything that does NOT have a big red "W" on it.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had a champion 8000 on my yj and probably used 15 times with no failures. My new Xr8 blew a solenoid after just 3 pulls and i was very careful not to overheat or load it bad. also had the same quick rusting as others have already said. I know it has been said time and time again but you get what you pay for. I should have bought a WARN. Now i have a unreliable paperweight on the front of my jeep. Just my personal experience. If you dont plan on using it and just want to full the hole in your bumper just get whatevers cheaper.

Actaully after reading the post above me maybe i should have bought that superwinch i saw at northern tools for almost the same price as the champion. I recently have had me eyes on the T-max competition.

Last edited by motorhead0320; 12-05-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just order a Warn M8000 for $513, it's an unbelievably good buy and an exceptionally good looking piece of hardware.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yak don't buy the champion, the one you have seen on my front bumper is now a paperweight in my shop. The magnets inside the motor broke into pieces and I took it to start rite to see what there take on it was and they told me it was possibly but probably not rebuild for $85 or install a whole new motor that I found for $110, Also this is the only motor they have been able to find that will mount up. And just for reference she showed me 2 more behind the desk with same problem!!! Sad thing is I only used mine twice and it was just out of warranty! There is a guy on n tx jk that has a smittybilt xrc8 for sale for $250 that I was thinking about but after reading some more posts I think I will be saving up and getting a ramsey, super, milemarker, or warn. I need to finish the build on my bumper anyways just put the stock back on tonight after having the winch off for a few weeks and gotta say I still hate the plastic and am not to happy with a pile of metal that I haven't got anything built with for my bumper.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red08rubicon_tx
There is a guy on n tx jk that has a smittybilt xrc8 for sale for $250 that I was thinking about but after reading some more posts I think I will be saving up and getting a ramsey, super, milemarker, or warn
whats wrong with smittybilt, just out of curiosity?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone have any thoughts on the Warn 9.5 SI? I know nothing about winches, but with winter coming up I thought since my AEV bumper has a big empty space in the middle of it, this looked like a good purchase. I'd be embarassed as hell if for some reason I slid in some snow and got stuck. Plus whenever there are big snow storms, the local hospitals ask for volunteers with 4wd vehicles to pick up doctors, etc and well they always show h2s out there, I'd like to be able to represent and help out in a JK.

Also, when spending this kind of money on something electric, should a cover be purchased for it? Seems quite a few people have complained of parts rusting, etc.

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 12-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrsig
MY HERO!!
Wow - I'm impressed he got stuck there and you had to pull him out.. Looks like something that a Jeep could totally take on...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davebloomer
you should also consider the mile marker 8000# (american made) for $399
also, i believe you should leave the http://www off of your non sponsor links due to the rules. but i believe a mod will inform you of this soon enough
The electric Mile marker is not made in the good ole US of A, but comes from our friends in CHINA.,..... I had one and has "Made in China" Stickers on it.....The only Mile Markers made in the USA are the Hydraulic Winches

And remember that a winch is like a gun.....You do not want to go too cheap on it, because when you need it, you want to know its gonna work well!

Last edited by ccwbrd; 12-12-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
what about the xrc10?
i just bought this from winch depot for $369 shipped

i hear it came in second at one of those winching competitions lately.

Quick Reply: Which winch?