Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch

Old 11-25-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkx3

You are not asking for advice, you are trolling for a certain answer.

Just buy the damn thing, and go find out why people buy Warn or whatevr.
Wow asshole much?!?! I am very new to all of this and never got clarification, now I know and honestly will be saving for a warn!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders

because when you do need it a warn will most likely work (most only use a warn a few times a year). they call it shity built for a reason. always buy the best you can afford and if you can't afford something decent dont buy it wait and save up. better to buy once and be happy than two or three times and be pissed you didn't buy it the first time or two. decent in my book would be a lower end m8000 from warren or a 8000 from ramsey $500 bucks. i would reather have a m8000 than the top of the line smitty built.
Thanks Cody that makes a lot of sense!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I apologize for getting this thread so far off of topic, I actually subscribed to this thread to see the answer to the op's original questions and they really haven't been addressed!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf

This thread has some good info. Be sure to follow the link in post 7 for a winch shoot-out. Not all-inclusive, just good reading.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=winch

A quote from that review:

As I mentioned above, my Warn 9.5 has been out in front of my vehicles for almost 11 years, and is still pulling strong. Would you give the same odds of survivability to a $300-$500 winch? Anyone?
Hahahaha you forgot to mention that other winches fared quite well in the article and surprised the testers that were carefully watching them. Nice selective quote though. And that winch course was insanely tough compared to what most of us would ever use them for.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by An0maly
Lol I hear that all the time but with no explanation, if someone uses a winch a hand full of times a year (5 or 6) what makes a warn that much better? I know that in the long run they will last longer, but let's look at 5yrs or so? In 5 years time, using it a hand full of times a year, what can one expect from a smitty?
Usually within 5 years the Smitty is replaced by a Warn or the guy sells the Jeep.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Hahahaha you forgot to mention that other winches fared quite well in the article and surprised the testers that were carefully watching them. Nice selective quote though. And that winch course was insanely tough compared to what most of us would ever use them for.
You didn't read the article very well....some of the winches failed on the first pull while others shocked the judges by hanging in far longer than expected.

I don't want a winch that shocks anyone by working. That's why I went with a Warn but that's why we have chocolate and vanilla...everyone likes different things.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Hahahaha you forgot to mention that other winches fared quite well in the article and surprised the testers that were carefully watching them. Nice selective quote though.
Hmm, I don't recall saying that any other brand was crap. I said that the linked thread and the shoot-out had some more good info. As far as the quote goes, I read it for what it is. Everyone that was there had the same opinion. - Not ONE single person had ANY doubts about the Warn. For a mixed group of enthusiasts, using that kind of a variety of winches, that is a pretty telling statement. Did others score well? Sure. But everyone there KNEW that Warn was the winch to beat...

And that winch course was insanely tough compared to what most of us would ever use them for.
You would rather have the winches tested by pulling a couple kids in a wagon, perhaps? Personally, I think it is good to know that the winch I choose can actually handle some abuse. If you want to buy one based on the pretty colors they chose for it, well, go for it...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read many really good reviews about the Smittybilt and also the Rugged Ridge winches.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ECHO
So which winch do you have on your JK? or are you just stirring up the crap for fun.. because your comment, really makes no sense
I have a Warn XD9000 on my Rubicon.

My comment is pretty easy to understand.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I have read many really good reviews about the Smittybilt and also the Rugged Ridge winches.
From mall crawlers maybe.

Quick Reply: winch