Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

winch

Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch

I have never had or used a winch before. Can someone tell me why they don't get destroyed by mud and constantly being wet (rain and mud puddles)? Is there special care needed to make them last?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

buy a good name brand like warn or ramsey and you should not have much issue. i had a m8000 warn on several jeeps for 14 years before i finally sold it and bought a new one. it was still working fine and all i did was wash it when i washed the jeep. went through two or three cables but no winch repair.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by knight1000
I have never had or used a winch before. Can someone tell me why they don't get destroyed by mud and constantly being wet (rain and mud puddles)?
Because the Mfg's know that their winches are going to be hanging off the front of the vehicle and seal or semi-weatherproof them. I have had my Warn 9.5 for going on 11 years of Texas summers and Colorado winters, still pulls strong when I need it.

Just go to the mfg's website and read...

Here is what Warn says:
This winch not only looks great, but sheds the elements like no other winch on the market: seals at the key points give extreme-duty water resistance.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

They are tough, can take a beating, I suggest buying a reputable winch....I have always ran Warn, and they haven't let me down.....This mod (winch) usually can pay for itself the first time you use it Mine has payed for itself many times over

During the winter, I usually cover mine to keep the salt and flying rocks from plowtrucks off it etc...During the summer I tend to keep the cover off, to prevent the winch from sweating (in certain evironments moisture will remain under the cover, which isn't good)
Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a superwinch EPI 9.0s and deep water has never bothered it. It did however quit working when I had it submerged in really soupy mud trying to use it. The brushes got mud in between them and the housing they slide in and they quit making contact. I took the motor apart, cleaned it up and it works perfect again. The only winches that I've found that state the motors are sealed are the WARN Ultimate Performance Series winches. The cheapest of which is over $1000.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I know that the warns are great, but what about something like the smitty?? Are they just less reliable or what?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by An0maly
So I know that the warns are great, but what about something like the smitty?? Are they just less reliable or what?
you get what u pay for
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mwebb

you get what u pay for
Lol I hear that all the time but with no explanation, if someone uses a winch a hand full of times a year (5 or 6) what makes a warn that much better? I know that in the long run they will last longer, but let's look at 5yrs or so? In 5 years time, using it a hand full of times a year, what can one expect from a smitty?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lol I hear that all the time but with no explanation, if someone uses a winch a hand full of times a year (5 or 6) what makes a warn that much better? I know that in the long run they will last longer, but let's look at 5yrs or so? In 5 years time, using it a hand full of times a year, what can one expect from a smitty?

This thread has some good info. Be sure to follow the link in post 7 for a winch shoot-out. Not all-inclusive, just good reading.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=winch

A quote from that review:
Be it effective marketing, brand recognition, reputation, or simply propaganda, all testers involved had an expectation that the sun will rise in the East and the Warn will accomplish the pull. While the other winches were being watched closely to see if they would finish, the Warn’s ability to finish a pull was never doubted. In fact, it only received an occasional glance to see when it was done. This peace of mind alone may be worth the premium price to some readers.
As I mentioned above, my Warn 9.5 has been out in front of my vehicles for almost 11 years, and is still pulling strong. Would you give the same odds of survivability to a $300-$500 winch? Anyone?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

because when you do need it a warn will most likely work (most only use a warn a few times a year). they call it shity built for a reason. always buy the best you can afford and if you can't afford something decent dont buy it wait and save up. better to buy once and be happy than two or three times and be pissed you didn't buy it the first time or two. decent in my book would be a lower end m8000 from warren or a 8000 from ramsey $500 bucks. i would reather have a m8000 than the top of the line smitty built.

Quick Reply: winch