Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will you run 38.5 tires?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tattedfire
Your rear 44 will be fine with 37" tires. For more piece of mind you can add some chromos in the rear also and you'll have a strong/capable rear D44
I meant if you have any advice on type / brand to use with the factory
Locker
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

I cant believe as a newbi I'm going to disagree with Wayoflife,, and his 35,600 posts! He probably has forgotten more info about jeeps and wheeling that i will ever know. That being said,, I ran 38.5 superswampers for years and loved them! I don't think you should avoid 38.5's just because of the size. There are posts all over this forum about tire sizes not being accurate anyway. Also,, if you buy 5, you automatically have your spare.
Side note to Wayoflife: Much respect! Hope to meet you on the trail someday. Or on the street, considering your about 25 min south of me.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
I cant believe as a newbi I'm going to disagree with Wayoflife,, and his 35,600 posts! He probably has forgotten more info about jeeps and wheeling that i will ever know. That being said,, I ran 38.5 superswampers for years and loved them! I don't think you should avoid 38.5's just because of the size. There are posts all over this forum about tire sizes not being accurate anyway. Also,, if you buy 5, you automatically have your spare.
Side note to Wayoflife: Much respect! Hope to meet you on the trail someday. Or on the street, considering your about 25 min south of me.
What I think WOL meant about the tires is that most people run 35's, 37's, and 40's. And if Ur on the trail with 38.5's and pop a tire and then farther down the trail u pop another one, then you will be SOL unless some one is also running the same size tire.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi

Yes you will have your spare but what if one goes bad then you don't have a spare anymore(:
I always agree with wayoflife he has alot more experience that me so i trust what he has to say(:
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

ok,, honestly,, if you have 38.5's and a wheeling buddy has 37's or 39's or 40's,,, wont they all work to get you off the trail?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok,, honestly,, if you have 38.5's and a wheeling buddy has 37's or 39's or 40's,,, wont they all work to get you off the trail?
Stop thinking...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

can not run two tires of unequal diameter on the same axle.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Why not? If ur axels not locked I heard its fine to get you off the trail. On most cars the crappy spare in the trun is smaller?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

From what I understand the issue actually lies in a Limited slip or the BLD being confused by one tire taking longer to rotate than the other. To limp off the trail, you will be ok. God knows people have limped off under worse conditions; but to actually drive home afterwards you wouldn't be good. However, there has been a whole lot of talk about upgrading your shafts. I would be firmly against that. I would always want to keep my shafts the week point in my drive train so that if something binds up in the rocks they're the first thing to go. A axle shaft can be replaced by some capable people in a few minutes and you can continue about your day. A blown ring and pinion or a chewed up carrier however will ruin your day. The former a whole lot faster than the latter.

Quick Reply: Will you run 38.5 tires?