Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will this work?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently having the same problem you are. The bumper is making contact on the passenger side. Every time i hit a bump it hits the body behind the fender. Everything is secure. i"ve taken the bumper off 2 times and switched the inside mounts and still have the same problem. Currently talking with smittybilt to resolve issue.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chad s
I'm currently having the same problem you are. The bumper is making contact on the passenger side. Every time i hit a bump it hits the body behind the fender. Everything is secure. i"ve taken the bumper off 2 times and switched the inside mounts and still have the same problem. Currently talking with smittybilt to resolve issue.
I'd be curious to see what they say. I think it's more possible than people would think for the body to be hitting the bumper with a gap that small. I had no issues with my latch lining up, but did have to add a few washers to get it tight and rattle free like I wanted. I think that the carrier COULD be moving up and down on bumps at speed just enough to make the sound I'm hearing, but I'm also not convinced that the bumper isn't hitting the body.

Could SOMEONE please confirm weather or not it would hurt anything to add a couple of washers to each side of the rear body mounts to give me another 1/4"???
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dajuicejml
Could SOMEONE please confirm weather or not it would hurt anything to add a couple of washers to each side of the rear body mounts to give me another 1/4"???
Anyone????
Old 01-05-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take some pics and send them to smittybilt. i spoke with Ray and he's great. They are sending me a new bumper out.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually went ahead and added 2 washers to each of the rear body mounts. It gave me another 1/4" and increased my overall gap to about 1/2". Now there are absolutely NO RATTLES! Looks like my trouble WAS in fact the body hitting the bumper.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

This is really strange...I guess it worked for you, so well done...But I have like a 1/8" gap maybe...and that is being generous. I have never had one issue withe rattles or any noises from the bumper...only issue I ever had was the taillight mount doo-dad banging the tire carrier. Put a piece of rubber between it and i'm good to go.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dajuicejml
I actually went ahead and added 2 washers to each of the rear body mounts. It gave me another 1/4" and increased my overall gap to about 1/2". Now there are absolutely NO RATTLES! Looks like my trouble WAS in fact the body hitting the bumper.
I am glad to hear that this solved your problem

Quick Reply: Will this work?